Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to still luftwaffe contract pps were 216305-234705. If that is the case, this is not a luftwaffe contract gun. And if it isn't, did it come with matching magazines? According to Whittington this serial numbered pp is the last of the high polish finishes and the start of the milled finishes. All input is welcome, thanks in advance.

· Registered
2,331 Posts
just my thoughts but I think your fine. the gun's serial number is only 1100 outside the know range. if you do the math, the reported range was 216305 to 234705 but that equals 18,400 numbers while the procurement for that variation was only 13,000. so clearly there are going to be numbers within that range that were not part of the contract and were pulled for various reasons. that being said, I see it possible that the range could be slightly larger. so next I went to the markings. while they are bad. that wasn't uncommon. I included a pic of my 1st variation PP which has the E/359. you will notice that isn't struck cleanly either. I cant tell however without seeing in person if the waffenamt was struck before or after bluing. but my guess is its showing up white because of marking ink. so I think your fine.

Attachments

· Registered
2,331 Posts
from what I know, the ones that actually went to Lufftwaffe had matching mags. yours actually is the first serial number in what is known as the 4th Variation. serial #235879P to 368899P for an estimated procurement of 66,000. yours is suppose to be the first serialized gun that is attributed to being a military blue finish. its difficult to tell in a photo if it has a military blue finish or high polish blue which is the Variation 3 you referenced of serial 216305P to 234705P. hence why I said if it does have a high polish finish then its possible the 3rd Variation could go up that far. that in no way tells one if it was procured for the lufftwaffe, they are a sub group within the E/359 and WaA359 marked guns. the waffenamt just means it was procured and accepted under a military contract. it doesn't tell you to which branch it went too. so that being said, it would only have the matching mags if it was part of the luft contract. an interesting note your gun was reported and is listed in Jan Stills book Axis Pistols page 41 as being a 4th variation with a military finish.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes ,this serial numbered pp 235879p was the first of the military finished waA359 marked pps according to still, but it does have a high polish finish so thats why i am curious if it was in fact issued with 2 matching numbered mags ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.