Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having taking a page out of VIS35 book, I just aquired 2(!!!) luftwaffe drillings.
One is practically brand new, cased with most of the accessories and BRINGBACK PAPERS! - missing the manual and test target(and ammo, of course), made in Sept of 1941. Wood has a dark stain and is varnished.
The other one is without the case, but has a more interesting history. It is a later production gun, which has a light unvarnished but highly figured wood. Made in Aug of 1942 and is in 98-99% condition.
Originally, it had a small brass rectangular plaque - about 1.5 in X 3in, afixed with two very very small finishing nails to the right side of the stock, covering the luftwaffe eagle and the swastika. The brass plate is engraved in russian - a presentation to a civillian from a Russian Army colonel and dated 1945!.
Plate was removed form the gun without any damage to the stock(two small pinhead sized holes - that's all). I still have the plate.
One wonders how this gun ever made it to this country....
Finally, where could one find an original or a reprint of the manual for this gun?
Val

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Val
I will repeat a previous post: High grade fit and finish, case and acessories, Luftwaffe eagle and ordnance stamps, Africa Corps association, and three barrel big game fire power, make the Luftwaffe drilling a most interesting and desirable World War II collectable. And you have obtained two!

Although it is none of my business, what was the price?
Jan

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jan:
I probably paid too much for the guns, but in light of the recent $22000 price tag on the Rock Island Auction for a lesser condition gun - I probably did ok...
I also noticed that the case that came with one of the guns is painted grey, not green or sand-colored, like the one shown in your old post... Were there variations in the color of the paint used, depending on the destination(Africa vs. Europe, etc.)?

Val

G

·
Greetings all,

Below is copy of one of the listings of a guy in Germany who photocopies manuals to sell. The quality of his photocopy job isn't the best, but it is of the original manual (these look like a second or third generation copy). I'm working on translating one of his photocopies now for the MP44. Anyway, here's his listing, and his info is: Michael Heidler /Email: [email protected]

You can contact him in English. He has a large list of manuals he has copied. He has always treated me very well.

The Drilling manual is one that I've thought of translating, but I have so many others to do I wouldn't get to it for a long time. This manual is 32 pages (seitigen = pages). If you don't read German, this is the instruction manual for the "Decription, Operation and Maintenance" from July 10, 1941.

It describes all individual parts, use and purpose, design of the weapon, scope and supply, operation and maintenance, preventive maintenance, storage and accessories (including the transport box).

It's 2.50 Euros (maybe $3.35) plus postage. German postage isn't cheap, so you should be able to get this manual here for $6.00 maybe. Cheap information for a $20,000 piece, I'd say.

[email protected]

Fotokopie der von der Firma Sauer&Sohn im Auftrag des Reichsministers für Luftfahrt herausgegebenen 32-seitigen Werksschrift "Drilling M 30 Beschreibung, Bedienung und Wartungsvorschrift" vom 10.07.1941. Diese
Anleitung war gedacht als Vorläufer einer D.(Luft)T., die jedoch nie erstellt wurde.
Beschrieben werden: Alle Einzelteile, Verwendungszweck, Aufbau der Waffe und Lieferumfang, Bedienung & Pflege, Wartung, Lagerung und Zubehör (Inhaltsverzeichnis des Transportkastens). Der Drilling M.30 war eine Jagdwaffe, die von Flugzeugbesatzungen bei Langstreckenflügen an Bord mitgenommen wurde, um im Falle eine Notlandung in der Wildniss Tiere jagen zu können. Gegen Ende des Krieges wurde alle diese Luftwaffen-Drillinge eingezogen und an den Volkssturm ausgegeben.
Lassen Sie sich diese interessante Werksschrift mit ihren 21 Abbildungen nicht entgehen.
2,50 EUR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.