Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,288 Posts
Jan,

this is much interesting information! I like to add two notes to this post:

1/

"Training gunners at pass shooting ( learning how to lead a target). This was a fairly common practice with Allied Air forces. One can only assume that German gunners were trained in the same manner."

I can confirm this. A recently deceased old hunter told me the following: As a young man he made his hunter's exam during the war (note: since the new Hunting Laws of 1936, every person who wanted to get a hunting license/permit had to pass a special exam for hunters. This is the case even today). To pass the exam, it was necessary i.a. to shoot clay birds (Trap) and to achieve a minimum result during the exam. He learned clay bird shooting on a Luftwaffe shooting range near Lüneburg , a town close to Hamburg. He shot clay birds together with German Luftwaffe pilots.

2/

"Both Don Andrews and I own a JP Sauer & Sohn over and under, his is serial numbered #294249 manufactured 640 (June, 1940) and mine is 294295 dated 240 (Feb. 1940) and they are both marked identical to the BSW."

Jan, if you could please ask Bob Cutler for photos of the proof marks of his shot gun proofed in February, 1940, that would be just great! Jim Cate and I are after a long gun proofed in Feb 1940 since years! Why? Well, some years ago the question was hotly debated, WHEN THE EAGLE/N PROOFS were introduced: on January 15, 1940 (which is a fact based on the German Proof Law, which came into force on this day), or on April 01, 1940 (a date mentioned in older sources). A photo showing the date 2/40 and the relating proof marking eagle/N OR crown/N would terminate any discussions.

Regards

sauerfan

· Registered
1,288 Posts
Jan,
just read again your wonderful article about the Sauer Luftwaffe drillings and shot guns and again looked at this nice photo:

quote:Figure 5. The arms unloaded from the Stuka dive bomber: M 30 drilling, machine gun13, flare pistol, and a K98 rifle.

Sorry to say, but it is not a drilling, but a side-by-side shot gun. And no Sauer at all, as it has the foreshaft release at the tip of the foreshaft, not in the middle. The spring loaded press button at the tip of the foreshaft is typical for Belgian and English shot guns.

Download Attachment: Drilling.jpg
125.53KB

Regards

Martin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.