Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking to get a little information on the stampings on a holster that is mated with a 1922. The pistol is currently for sale by my favorite seller. I have been looking for the stampings that are on the holster flap and not getting far. If someone could enlighten me on the two stampings I would be very grateful.

Thank you. Dennis

Dennis
2021-06-10_089.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi,

I am looking to get a little information on the stampings on a holster that is mated with a 1922. The pistol is currently for sale by my favorite seller. I have been looking for the stampings that are on the holster flap and not getting far. If someone could enlighten me on the two stampings I would be very grateful.

Thank you. Dennis

Dennis View attachment 649167
I see that I put this in the wrong section by accident. If someone could move it to where it belongs I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Need a much better pic of the stampings .
Take a pic of just the stampings - not the ink markings .

Left stamping LOOKS like it may be the E2 mark of a Luftwaffe inspector at Krieghoff - Suhl .

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
You can also look at the thread " fun with eagles - the good side " in the " Krieghoff lugers " forum here . MANY examples there . Remember these are Luftwaffe inspectors - not Krieghoff .

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
If you looked at the " fun with eagles - the good side " thread this example is not there .

The thread " fun with eagles - the bad side " has similar ones but not exact .

Sorry bud but I do not like it .

·
Registered
WWII firearms, holsters, insignia, badges, Japanese swords, and other militaria
411 Posts
Markings are good! This is a drop holster for a 1922 Browning. It is Luftwaffe accepted "eagle/2" and the other marking is a shield with the letters "JFC" inside it. (see attached photo). This marking is well known and is legit.

I have not found information on what this marking is for, but I suspect it's either a maker's logo, or possibly a logo from the hide manufacture. I tend to lean towards maker's logo, as it's always found inside the flap.

Hope this helps,
Matt:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
What time frame is this from ?
The E2 is not even close to any used on HK stuff .
Note it does not have the circle " L " on it's chest .

Pretty well accepted fact that Luftwaffe inspector-inspectors 2 were assigned to HK production and there are indeed P.08 holsters accepted by E2 inspectors .
The only honest examples I have ever encountered have the standard E2 with the " L " in a circle on their chest .
Not at all like this 1922 holster .

Open minded about this but curious how this 1922 holster ties to the Luftwaffe or HK ?

Markings are good! This is a drop holster for a 1922 Browning. It is Luftwaffe accepted "eagle/2" and the other marking is a shield with the letters "JFC" inside it. (see attached photo). This marking is well known and is legit.

I have not found information on what this marking is for, but I suspect it's either a maker's logo, or possibly a logo from the hide manufacture. I tend to lean towards maker's logo, as it's always found inside the flap.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Note it does not have the circle " L " on it's chest .

Pretty well accepted fact that Luftwaffe inspector-inspectors 2 were assigned to HK production and there are indeed P.08 holsters accepted by E2 inspectors .
The only honest examples I have ever encountered have the standard E2 with the " L " in a circle on their chest .
Not at all like this 1922 holster .

Open minded about this but curious how this 1922 holster ties to the Luftwaffe or HK ?
Thank you both for the information. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Dennis S,

Some more pictures. Would you post a picture of the bottom of the extra mag pouch? Thanks

Geo.

Another holster

MP41 and all,

I have a holster for Mod 1922 that is similar to yours. The holster has been molested but the good thing is it has a fairly clear makers stamp. The E/2 is on the outside flap to the right. I thought the way the bottom of the extra mag pouch was stitched was unique.

The makers stamp appears as a 'F' with the vertical line as a sword blade. The the short horizontal line represents the cross guard. On the right side the blade is a 'C' and to the left a 'J'. Hope this helps with identifying the maker.

Geo.

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts

You are absolutely right.
Please have a look...
This is a Parabellum 08 assembled by the German Air Force with LWaA9-acceptance and a (not matching) magazine with the LWaA2-acceptance...

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
Geo,

Yes, that's the same logo. I've seen this with the "Luft/2" either on the inside of the flap, or the outside as well. The other interesting thing about these holsters is they will have 2 extra stitches on the belt loop going verticle on either side. Also, the mag pouch bottom will have two stitches on it as well.

Ford Nut,

This proof marking is wartime. (1941-1943 roughly. But could even be as early as 1940). The proof marking that you are referring to is an earlier marking with the circle "L" on the eagle's chest, but can be seen on holsters as late as 1942. (see photo below). That is not the same proof as this.

Inspectors were assigned to districts or regions. Not to manufactures. The "Luft/2" proof mark can be found on many other items not made by Krieghoff. (the photo below is from a holster made by H. Edger & Linde, 1936.)
I've also added a photo of a drop holster by "HCK" 1941 date which shows a "Luft/7" proof. Notice the eagle has no circle/L in it either. It is the exact same shaped eagles as the proof in the OP's post.

The OP's holster is not made by Krieghoff. It doesn't match their patterns. At this time, I'm not sure who the maker is, but I believe this logo is the maker's logo.

Hope this helps,

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Geo,

Yes, that's the same logo. I've seen this with the "Luft/2" either on the inside of the flap, or the outside as well. The other interesting thing about these holsters is they will have 2 extra stitches on the belt loop going verticle on either side. Also, the mag pouch bottom will have two stitches on it as well.

Ford Nut,

This proof marking is wartime. (1941-1943 roughly. But could even be as early as 1940). The proof marking that you are referring to is an earlier marking with the circle "L" on the eagle's chest. (see photo below). That marking is 1940 and earlier. That is not the same proof as this.

Inspectors were assigned to districts or regions. Not to manufactures. The "Luft/2" proof mark can be found on many other items not made by Krieghoff. (the photo below is from a holster made by H. Edger & Linde, 1936.)
I've also added a photo of a drop holster by "HCK" 1941 date which shows a "Luft/7" proof. Notice the eagle has no circle/L in it either. It is the exact same shaped eagles as the proof in the OP's post.

The OP's holster is not made by Krieghoff. It doesn't match their patterns. At this time, I'm not sure who the maker is, but I believe this logo is the maker's logo.

Hope this helps,
Thanks for all the good information. I know a whole more now than I did a few days ago.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Thanks and quite familiar with these E9 marked guns .
If you look at the Sticky about these you will see my 11795 which is mostly a late military HK with a replaced barrel-receiver that is E9 and C/N marked .
Rest is straight HK with no reject or additional proofs .

This marking is in Gibsons book called a E2 but it is clearly this E9 .

Interesting stuff !!!

You are absolutely right.
Please have a look...
This is a Parabellum 08 assembled by the German Air Force with LWaA9-acceptance and a (not matching) magazine with the LWaA2-acceptance...

Tom

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Matt ,
Agree it is not the same mark .
Agree HK did not make holsters and they also did not make the P.08 mags or the grips .

Having issues with pics but you can go to other threads to see the EL2 that was used 1940 - 1944 .

Geo,

Ford Nut,

This proof marking is wartime. (1941-1943 roughly. But could even be as early as 1940). The proof marking that you are referring to is an earlier marking with the circle "L" on the eagle's chest. (see photo below). That marking is 1940 and earlier. That is not the same proof as this.

Hope this helps,
On both the small parts acceptance and the large proof marks the " L " is there .

Not a student of 1922's at all - just wondering about the " Luft " connection of the E2 in question Here . To me it is a very different E2 . Definately not a EL2 like on HK's . .

·
Registered
411 Posts
Ford Nut,

I think I know what you are talking about. But comparing proof marks on a Luger pistol made by Krieghoff to a 1922 holster made by an unknown maker, is comparing apples to oranges. Two completely different things. They are indeed different proof markings, as I mentioned earlier.

I've attached two more photos that hopefully will help out. They are both 1922 holsters, both made by "cdc". One is dated 1942, and has the "eagle/7" proof with the "L" on the eagles chest as you mentioned. The other is dated 1943, and has the "eagle/7" proof without the "L", and is the exact same type as the eagle shown in the OP's holster. These are know and correct proof markings.

Hope this helps,

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here are some MG15 tool and gunners pouches with similar markings. Some are oddly fzs marked too. Another that is also JCF marked is from gcy and accepted by BAL11.

Like MP41, I suspect that HS and JCF (the F is large, so its likely a leather shop with a name with the initals J.C.F) are the actual makers. Perhaps Krieghoff had the contract for some leather goods and subbed the work out to local leather shops. Of course, it seems L.O. Dietrich used JCF also.

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
Ryan,

Thank you very much. That's is very useful information.

This would lend me to believe in my theory that I mentioned earlier that JCF could be a hide manufacture, or it could be a subcontractor as you suggested. Very interesting! I'd like to find out who "JCF" is though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts