Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all fantastic people here with a fantastic knowledge.

Can you folk help my friend with the Luger he found when grandpa died.

The gun is not in top condition but most is dirt and little rust.
Serial number don't match with Magazine

Year 1938
S/42
4 inch barrel
9mm Parabelum
Some kind of markings.
Serial number 1264 and what suffix is that?

I love to here something about this one becuse now we don't know anything.

Ill guess it's a WW2 gun of some kind, but no hits with info when we search 1264.

Who used guns with 1264 and if someone know how many they produced of this.
Basicly any information is fantastic to hear.

Here is some old pictures not in best quality ill guess?

IMG_20210713_012637.jpg
IMG_20210713_012637.jpg
index.jpeg
index3.jpeg
mirrornazi.jpeg
nazi.jpg

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Dimension5, first welcome to the Forum. Congratulations to your friend on a finding a nice treasure from his grandfather. The 1938 is the date code, so the gun was made in 1938. The S/42 was the code given for Mauser. so the gun was made by Mauser. The letter behind the 1264 is the suffix letter B. so the correct serial number is 1264b They would run the guns in batches of 10,000 and when they reached 9999 they started over with 001 and would add a letter A thru Z.

·
Premium Member
2,760 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I join in thanks for your Grandfather's heritage, and hope that this will remain a family heirloom. In Hungary did he serve in military units or resistance?

You can learn quite a bit by downloading and reading our reference FAQ PDF document.

You should consider carefully removing the grips (don't lift them off the frame, slide them out from under the safety lever and frame slots at the top) and using well oiled 0000 steel wool on a well oiled rusted surface to carefully remove any aciive rust.

Store the Luger by itself in a dry secure place, and avoid contact with the holster if you have it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum. I join in thanks for your Grandfather's heritage, and hope that this will remain a family heirloom. In Hungary did he serve in military units or resistance?

You can learn quite a bit by downloading and reading our reference FAQ PDF document.

You should consider carefully removing the grips (don't lift them off the frame, slide them out from under the safety lever and frame slots at the top) and using well oiled 0000 steel wool on a well oiled rusted surface to carefully remove any aciive rust.

Store the Luger by itself in a dry secure place, and avoid contact with the holster if you have it.
Thanx, Im working in Hungary extra sometimes for my friends construction company, we are from Finland/Russia so no one have served hungarian army.

Best Regards
D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dimension5, first welcome to the Forum. Congratulations to your friend on a finding a nice treasure from his grandfather. The 1938 is the date code, so the gun was made in 1938. The S/42 was the code given for Mauser. so the gun was made by Mauser. The letter behind the 1264 is the suffix letter B. so the correct serial number is 1264b They would run the guns in batches of 10,000 and when they reached 9999 they started over with 001 and would add a letter A thru Z.
Thank you very much, After 2y we know its 1264B, now we find more information. My friend said to me thats he think its 1264v.

Have a nice day och thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,760 Posts
You'll find the script fonts used for serial numbers listed at the end of the FAQ.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is some more better pictures Nr1 is on the side of the gun, Nr2 is from magazine that was on. Nr 3,4 is from a extra magazine that was in the box, Is there any more information in the pictures that you could not se in the original
post with bad quality pictures.

Best Regards
Dimension5

1 - 8 of 8 Posts