Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if my choice is to try and find all of the 4 volumes of Still’s Luger books for $1500 or The Borchardt and Luger 3 book set by Gortz and Sturgess for $300, which should I get? Assuming it will take me quite awhile to find $1500 for books. I have been loaned copies of Stills books and they are fantastic! Is the other set as good? Or a different animal completely?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Having bought the Gortz and Sturgess* books, they are similarly fantastic and detailed. Thoroughly researched and well written, they take a back seat to no other reference book. At 1/5 the price of Still’s books in your case, I’d take G&S.

*(Sorry, I typed the initial response from my phone and neglected to proofread before posting)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Having bought the Gortz and Sturmgewehr books, they are similar fantastic and detailed. Thoroughly researched and well written, they take a back seat to no other reference book. At 1/5 the price of Still’s books in your case, I’d take G&S.
Thanks! That’s the kind of input I was looking for. I guess those books won’t be going down in price either.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Having bought the Gortz and Sturmgewehr books, they are similar fantastic and detailed. Thoroughly researched and well written, they take a back seat to no other reference book. At 1/5 the price of Still’s books in your case, I’d take G&S.
Here Kaiser does Goetz book make reverse to pistol or rifles or does it cover both?
Happy Hunting!
Peter

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
10,173 Posts
This for sale on this forum might be what you are looking for?

Reactions: BruceW

·
Registered
193 Posts
Here Kaiser does Goetz book make reverse to pistol or rifles or does it cover both?
Happy Hunting!
Peter
Peter,

My apologies for not double checking my spelling before posting. I was in the car on my phone for the initial response and Sturgess must have autocorrected to Sturmgewehr. I didn't proofread before hitting send.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
For international buyer of Gurtz & Sturgess bookset, better order it from Simpson LTD. They may have special bulk rate on international shipping with postal service. Great reference but the set is very heavy.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Watch ebay and Amazon and be patient. There are deals to be had.

·
Registered
218 Posts
For international buyer of Gurtz & Sturgess bookset, better order it from Simpson LTD. They may have special bulk rate on international shipping with postal service. Great reference but the set is very heavy.
Watch this:

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I have the Gortz and Sturgess books and for what its worth they are hard to beat. Never looked through any of Jan Stills books but by reputation they sound great, I still would like to get 1 or 2 volumes though, maybe one day I might luck into a well used volume.

·
Administrator
13,504 Posts
I think because its been a number of years, that Jan's books have taken a hit in the collector market. They are still invaluable to me as a collector, but I have a fairly nice book collection and believe every collector should buy them. But as said above, Central Powers would likely fill your needs.

·
Registered
104 Posts
All of Still's books are definitely worth acquiring. Maybe just not all at once. And counting Central Powers Pistols, there are FIVE volumes...
There are actually six. The first was a paper back titled "The Pistols of Germany and It's Allies In Two World Wars", Volume 1.
Norm

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I would recommend you obtain all. Think of it this way, knowledge is power. If you attended a university you paid tuition for the instruction you wished to receive. These books are the equivalent of receiving knowledge from several persons that did many years of research. In essence you have "Dr. Jan Still" with a PhD in European military handguns.

G2

·
Registered
7 Posts
Regarding Still's books, which volumes were updated over the years with additional printings? For example, my copy of "Axis Pistols" is the WWII commemorative edition. I believe that is the third update/printing of that volume. If I recall correctly, my copy of "Nazi Lugers" is the first edition. I appreciate having the most up to date versions when possible.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Regarding Still's books, which volumes were updated over the years with additional printings? For example, my copy of "Axis Pistols" is the WWII commemorative edition. I believe that is the third update/printing of that volume. If I recall correctly, my copy of "Nazi Lugers" is the first edition. I appreciate having the most up to date versions when possible.
My copy of Axis Pistols is also the WWII commemorative ed. I believe it has a little bit more info than the 1st ed. The other four big books by Still that I have are all 1st editions. I don't believe updated versions were made of any of them but I'm not sure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts