Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
Someone offered a Luger for sale, It was marked with BYS 1941 and with 2 crossed swords . Below that swords you can read 003.
Ofcourse you can also read "gesichert" and its numbers.

Does anyone have an idea what for a Luger it is , or does anyone reconise the marking? There where no eagles or anything.

Thanks!
Frank

·
Administrator
16,709 Posts
Frank, hallo,

Sounds like a made up gun or of parts? It should be a "byf" and not a "bys". Can you take pictures and post them here?

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello!
Thank you for your help.
First i'd like to say, i don't know that much about Lugers, but I found this in one of my books.

BYS : Ruhrstahl AG , Guss-Stahlwerk, Witten
BYF : Mauser-Werke KG, Oberndorf Neckar

Isn't that correct? Could the Luger be a private purchase, or a political one?

I haven't got foto's (yet)
Greetings,
FranK!

·
Administrator
16,709 Posts
*anything* is possible, but (and my books are being "cleaned"), a normal Mauser made luger would be a byf 1941, and I have never heard of a BYS. Now, this would be on the toggle, and if somewhere else, then probably something added later. Normally (which means almost never) would initials be added to a gun.

also, it depends on if they told you it was bys or you saw it.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,
I indeed haven't seen it personally. My oncle has. I only doubt, that he has seen it wrong.

Do you have perhaps an idea, where the swords stand for? I thinks they're the most impotant. The other marking might be added, but the swords aren't, (I quess)

Thanks!

Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.