Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some prewar holsters , one in very bad condition and some fine with nice markings I think. Thanks for looking
Picture 1,2 and 15 belongs to each other, sure I have problems with uploading, sorry :(

Attachments

· Registered
5,805 Posts
Very nice and desireable holsters!
Could you please show the back of #13/14, and is the stamped date inside 1922 or 1932?

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two more holsters

I thought these two were LW holsters, now I think I have wrong, especially on the right one, ordinary WH holsters?
Is it possible to tell what P.W. 461 stands for?
Thanks for your knowledge!

Attachments

· Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
11,539 Posts
Are "rare" holsters worthless for Luger collectors when they are modified to US belts?
Kjell, No, certainly not worthless..but they take an economic plunge. They can be converted back to the original belt loop configuration but unfortunately there is always evidence of the Norway conversion. It just cannot be erased. Then there is the quality of the belt loop restoration. It is bad enough to have the Norway conversion but to then have very poor belt loops and stitching..doesn't help either. Rather it compounds the problem. Properly done loops on a Norway holster helps heal the wound..but there will always be scars and this hurts the PURE collectability.

There are SOME collectors that believe in the Norway conversion as a "type" that is in itself collectable but it is in no way as collectable as an original holster IMO.

11,539 Posts
Kjell..The V Eagle looking thing between the belt loops is a maker mark I believe.

The other Eagle..LOOKS like a Luft Eagle 2 but sort of unclear..WHERE is it stamped on the holster?

11,539 Posts
The second one are stamped inside of the back of the holster
Then I suspect it is indeed a Luft holster. Can you get a photo of it in it's location? Often it is very important to know where a mark is located..

11,539 Posts
Well, that goes without saying! Of course they are collectable! The question asked however..does the Norway conversion affect price? No one seems to have any opinion worth noting on that subject they are willing to share..except me. And I say with no doubt, YES. It DOES affect the price. ANY holster with great historical markings would be worth MORE if it was not converted by the Norway/US GI belt hooks. If anyone thinks otherwise..please state your case!

11,539 Posts
Kjell..Yes! Exactly where it is supposed to be! Krieghoff/Luft holsters in general/not always made a little differently than a normal Army holster. Some will have only the Eagle2 as we see and no other markings. Some will have the Eagle2 and a maker mark on the same panel in the left side, inside corner.
Other characteristics are BLACK thread..The front closure strap might be stitched on in a U shape as well.
I actually have a Krieghoff holster just like the one you show! It came to me cheaply because of the Norway conversion and I converted back to the loops. It was what I could afford at the time so I made do.
But this brings us back to our previous discussion of price on original compared to Norway conversion.
An original Krieghoff/Luft holster would easily bring double what a Norway conversion would bring. Even that estimate might be way off..it's a rare collector who wants a Norway conversion over almost any kind of original holster.
I think there are certain markings that trump the Norway conversion..Your Navy is likely a good example. Might not hurt that one TOO badly..but it's a bit different for a Luftwaffe..there it hurts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.