Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellas. Before I start looking for a spare mag for my luger, I was told there is a fellow that has a list of serialed mags. Maybe I should check there first? Can anyone tell me how to get a hold of him please? Much thanks. Dave

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Thomas

Welcome to forum, their is no single book to answer your question. To many lugers and two many mag variations.Ask your question here and you will then be able to narrow down your search.

The guy's are helpfull and it takes a long time to understand all the many variations. Once you have educated yourself a bit as to the collecting era you are in then buy a specific book to cover that period.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Thomas

The correct markings that should be on the bottom would be a four digit serial number stamped crosswise with letter suffix or without providing your luger is four digit serial number, may or maynot have a plus sign and the letters are of the smaller type.

No Erfurt proofs to be a correct DWM magazine.

Your Erfurt magazine is as acceptable as any for your luger, the chances of you finding the correct numbered DWM magazine are a longshot so the Erfurt magazine is what would be referred as a period correct magazine.

Now if a DWM crimped magazine tube has had the base replaced in the field buy an armourer it will be unmarked.

Now that you have disclosed a imperial artillery luger you should invest in Jan C Still's Imperial lugers and you will find a host of information on the artillery or Mauro's LPO8 book providing you speak his Language.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Lugerlou, thanks a bunch for the Info. I have another mag that is in a 1915 dwm that has the numbers 5247 across the wooden bottom and below that looks like an english "L" (the best I can describe it) and below that is a + sign. Does this sound like a "DWM" mag. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Thomas

Provided the magazine is of the crimped type with shiney nickel plate and not blued then the answer would be yes.

The yellowish colouring is generally found on Erfurt Mags

Without pictures it is hard to be definitive but your description is ok.

You should have started your own thread but it is along the same lines as Dave Baird's questions so I hope it assist's you both.

Here is some magazine photo's for you to compare.

Early Erfurt with two proofs, yellowish colour on the magazine tube (brushed)

Download Attachment: mags 001.jpg
60.84 KB

Download Attachment: mags 002.jpg
52.18 KB

Late Erfurt, single proof with yellowish tube

Download Attachment: mags 004.jpg
75.37 KB

Download Attachment: mags 003.jpg
41.32 KB

Navy DWM with shiney nickel tube and unmarked base, this one is not an armourer's replacement base

Download Attachment: mags 005.jpg
45.06 KB

Download Attachment: mags 006.jpg
75.15 KB

Marked DWM base without the plus sign and a shiney nickel tube, four digit serial number with the letter suffix below, this is a later Imperial DWM as the serial numbers on the earlier ones had the large serial numbers stamped lengthwise instead of crosswise.

Download Attachment: mags 008.jpg
61.43 KB

Download Attachment: mags 007.jpg
41.73 KB

These photo's shouls assist you and if you require extra clarification just ask.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Luger Lou, Thanks for the education. I am just getting started and It seens I've got alot to learn. I have looked on E-Bay to see what they have to offer and a few other places which produced very little results. Can you advise me where the best places to look to buy A original imperial Navy and DWM Mags. Thanks again, Tom

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Thomas

Best place that I have found to buy magazines is from serious collectors at the gun shows, Ebay for all it's good points is a haven for fakes. The good stuff is also found on forum's such as this one as no one is about to knowingly sell junk as it places their reputations on the line.

Try and place an add here in the trader section but be prepared to pay the toll for original goods.

Imperial Navy magazines bear a premium over regular magazines unless you get into the H/K magazines and rare K date Navy magazines which then again are expensive in their own right.

I could go on and on about magazines and the different codes/acceptances bases, magazine tubes, police variations and so on that is why if you recall earlier in this posting it is best to ask a specific question regarding the type of magazine that you have and go from their.

Magazine collecting and understanding the many combinations is an art in itself so do not expect to understand it completly. Never sell yourself short asking questions as their are many good members on this forum that I have witnessed helping out fellow collectors.

You will come to notice that when a question is posed here on Mr. Still's site in a open manner that the members readily assist one another.

This is a very good site to participate in and learn about our collective hobby.

Dwight Gruber

Thanks , it is to bad that the yellowing did not come through in the photos on the Erfurt magazine body's but the distinction is present.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.