Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one matching mag for my Prussian Police Luger, the spare that came with the rig will be the first photo. The second photo is of a mag that was given to me.....any information?

Download Attachment: MVC-259S.JPG
25.63KB

Download Attachment: MVC-263S.JPG
21.41KB

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
DocLes, The wood bottomed mag is an Imperial crown proofed spare mag, as indicated by the + mark, possibly a WWI Erfurt .The other is a post,early 1937, issued with Third Reich Mauser S/42, as indicated by the Stick wing (straight wing)63 proof.They changed to the stick wing in about mid-1937.

Ron

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Its tough to make out the suffix on the wood-bottom mag. If the wood-bottom mag is really Erfurt and the suffix is b it dates from 1911-1918. If it is k (less likely, I think) it dates from 1917 or possibly 1918. Got a picture of the follower button?

--Dwight

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
DocLes, If the ser# is 5079b. And is an Erfurt. It could be a late 1914. I am going by Jan's chart in Imperial Lugers. So I could be wrong. Hopfully someone with more expertise will confirm or correct me on this.
Ron

Dwight, Bail me out!!

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,534 Posts
The first mag is a later version of an Imperial military. During the first few years of P08 production the magazines were numbered with larger numerals running on the fore/aft axis and without suffix. When the change in size and axis took place I am not sure but I feel certain that it was after 1911 as I have seen many 1911's with the former style numbering.

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
As George said the first mag is a later version of an Erfurt military. All the 1911 and 1912 dated Erfurts with matched mags that I have in my collection or observed bear the double acceptance stamped mag.

I would guess that the transition to the single mag stamp mag took place sometime in 1914. The 1913 Erfurt shown on page 70 of Imperial Lugers, sn 1062, has two acceptance stamps on its mag. The 1916 Erfurt shown on page 75 , sn 743d, and the 1917 Erfurt,2218j, shown on page 76 both have a single acceptance stamp.

The single b suffix mag in question (shown above) could be for a 1914, 1916, 1917 or 1918 dated Erfurt Luger. All these Lugers used the b suffix (see page 11 and 12 Weimar Lugers).
Jan
Any data on matched Erfurt mags would be most helpful.

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,534 Posts
Jan, I have some gnawing questions on mags, their numbering, suffixes, etc. I expect to have all my Lugers out with their accoutrements this coming week, at that time I'll make notes and let you know what I find.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.