Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first Luger is it a 1936 s/42 # 50XX with an O suffex. It has not been reblued and has some wear on the gun from a holster it is about 95 % and all numbers match. Does anyone have any Idea what month it was made, and is there any way to track back who it was issued to?
Just an FYI I purchased it from a man in his late 70's who claimed he personally took it off a german. He said after the war he had a collection of about 85 Lugers, p38's and assorted other pistoles he had shipped back. Seamed like a big number but he had photos of himself when he was younger surrounded by Lugers so I tended to belive him.

·
Administrator
16,719 Posts
Hello Tim and welcome!

I have heard a story or two, of guys shipping back huge amounts, they were usually supply or the like! ;0

A month of manufacture is just a guess, and almsot impossible to know who used it. Same with our military, guns were just issued, no rosters that would survive the war. There are soldier books that would have a soldiers info, but to find yours would be very unlikely.

Ed

G

·
The first 1936-S/42 pistols appeared near the number 5000 of the - f - block. They ended near number 5000 of the - p - block. How about a good guess of December 1936 for the date of manufacture??? What is the complete serial number of your Luger for those who record such details? If you are familier with - test proof 1 - or - test proof 2 -, that info would also be of value. See Still Vol 111 for details.
Thanks and good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.