Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will like to know if anybody know somthing about my Luger see picture.
The grip and the barrel is different from anyone I have seen.
The pistol is maked: DWM 1917 Number 9999 with an L under

Download Attachment: P1010020.JPG
183.17 KB

·
Registered
597 Posts
lo.skytte -

Very interesting gun. Have never seen a 1917 Luger without the stock lug. Can you determine if this one has been ground off, or could the frame be from an earlier gun? Does the serial number on the frame match the serial number on the barrel?

Luke

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
lo.skytte

Your luger appears to have been modified for target shooting. This sort of modification to a Luger was popular at one time in Nordic countries. It also appears to have been reblued and have custom grips installed. The contour of the grip suggests the stock lug has been ground of, but that could be caused by the angle of the photograph also. The pistol seems to have a higher polish than a 1917 P08 would have and the barrel profile is not that of an original unmodified P08. You should have the calibre checked by a competent gunsmith before attempting to shoot this pistol. The calibre may have been modified when the pistol was rebarreled.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thangs for taking interest in this.

Download Attachment: DWM_Side_1.jpg
69.19KB

Download Attachment: mærker.jpg
74.74KB
There is no number on the barrel
What is "stock lug"
Best regards
Lars Østergaard
quote:Originally posted by Luke

lo.skytte -

Very interesting gun. Have never seen a 1917 Luger without the stock lug. Can you determine if this one has been ground off, or could the frame be from an earlier gun? Does the serial number on the frame match the serial number on the barrel?

Luke

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Lars, It would appear that you have a nicely made Luger target pistol assembled from one or more worn out Lugers. The last toggle link appears to bear the number 17 instead of 98. The barrel is a replacement, and the grips are replacements that appear to have some careful workmanship.

Pistols of this type are not currently highly valued by collectors. However it does represent an interesting segment of Luger history and use and shows signs that a previous owner cared a great deal about the pistol. This one is meant to be enjoyed in the using. Perhaps Ed Tinker ccan move this post to the new collectors section where it would be better placed.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Can't tell from your picture, but I wonder if the mark on the right rail and the crown proof underneath is a retrofit holdopen ?

Has anyone seen grips like these before?

LUke

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thangs for your interest.
You forgot to explain, hvot is a stock lug?
I send a better picture of the grip.
Best regards
Lars

Download Attachment: skæfte redu..jpg
65.24KB
quote:Originally posted by Luke

Can't tell from your picture, but I wonder if the mark on the right rail and the crown proof underneath is a retrofit holdopen ?

Has anyone seen grips like these before?

LUke

·
Registered
597 Posts
lo.skytte -

Your question: "Hvot is a stock lug?" If you are asking about the location and description of the stock lug, it is the rear projection on the lower-rear grip strap. Look at any of the pictures of late WW-I Lugers or any of the WW-II Lugers. This forum contains hundreds of them. It was machined during the manufacture of the frame. Some stock lugs have been ground off by collectors and others. If there has been grinding and refinishing on the rear grip strap, it is usually apparent.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,
Luke

·
Registered
597 Posts
lo.skytte -

Your question: "Hvot is a stock lug?" If you are asking about the location and description of the stock lug, it is the rear projection on the lower-rear grip strap. Look at any of the pictures of late WW-I Lugers or any of the WW-II Lugers. This forum contains hundreds of them. It was machined during the manufacture of the frame. Some stock lugs have been ground off by collectors and others. If there has been grinding and refinishing on the rear grip strap, it is usually apparent.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,
Luke

·
Registered
14,177 Posts
From the one photo that Lars posted of the top of the chamber, it appears this pistol may have been a LP-08 Artillery luger (1917) at some point in time as well.

Looks like a great traget shooter...hope you enjoy shooting this Luger, Lars...from time to time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.