Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all..i inherited a very clean matching 41 byf .( i will post pics asap )and i want to know the value, and how much i should insure it for. anyway, my question is, do lugers in general, sell for more than what "the book" says. i don't own a book yet on lugers. but when i brought it to a gunsmith and saw his book. it valued mine at around $750. looking at other lugers (simpsonltd.com), for example. and the prices of other 41 byfs. they are going for 2 to 3 times more than book value. could someone help clarify that. or am i nuts..

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hello Tony,

No, you are not nuts. It is unlikely that any "book" value is applicable; there are too many variables. Not only that, but most of the "book" values were published years ago, and prices are constantly escalating. You will get a much better estimate on this forum, but only after you post detailed pictures.

Luke

·
Administrator
15,522 Posts
Yes, and I am following Luke on all of his postings. I look on the gun boards, look on the sites like Simpson, Shattuck, etc., and it gives you a feel for prices.

But, remember, condition and originality are everything! If it is reblued, it is a "shooter" price. If it is pitted, if it is worn very badly, those are all reasons why a gun is valued less.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys. thats what i figured. i don't collect guns, but inderstand how collecting works. i just wanted to make sure. thx.....tony

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.