Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
For your review, a complete rig with a matched holster and two matched mags. The gun is a 1939 Police Banner, with the less common Eagle C proof, made early in the "W" block and re-using an E/6 Simson proofed barrel extension. The grips are unnumbered but little doubt original by fit and lack of ever being disturbed. The internal are matched including hold open and firing pin. It has 2 matched mags with Police number 1 & 2. The holster has nice soft leather but the stitching has seen better days, the strap on the front long gone and other stitching missing in some areas. The leather is in great shape and the holster should be easily saved. The holster bears the police eagle dated 1941 and is numbered "1366" just like the gun. Enjoy the pics, comments welcome.
Thanks,
Diehard

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,549 Posts
very nice - I would guess that Mauser had a 7.65mm Banner sitting around (or group) that they bought and then berlin armory still had the 9mm Simson 'proofed' barrel that they used...

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Odd for sure, a single e/6 on the barrel extension with the e/L.:confused:

It raises many questions in my simple mind.:eek:

Why is is not "just" a Mauser pistol completely Mauser made, and inspector e/6 was working for the police at the time and used "his" e/6 and a e/L; or each inspection on the right was done by a different inspector at a different time.
Would not a "re-used" Simson bbl extension have a full suite of Simson related proofs on the right chamber?
And not have an crown/U on the left chamber, but evidence of an earlier Simson pistol number?
E/6 does not necessarily mean Simson made does it?
Have we not seen the e/6 inspection after Simson's demise as a mfg.?

A very nice looking and enigmatic rig for sure! Congrats.

·
2,441 Posts
Quite a number of '39 police Banners have E/6 parts. These obviously were leftover Simson parts that were utilized by Mauser in the production of the police Banners in 1939. I also know of one 1940 Banner that has a Simson sideplate. This was an era when Mauser was trying to supply the police with their demands. Regards, Jim

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
1,175 Posts
Very nice Police Banner! Interesting that these early w suffix Police magazines had both the + and the #1 on them.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Quite a number of '39 police Banners have E/6 parts. These obviously were leftover Simson parts that were utilized by Mauser in the production of the police Banners in 1939. I also know of one 1940 Banner that has a Simson sideplate. This was an era when Mauser was trying to supply the police with their demands. Regards, Jim
Jim,
you jogged my memory, yes-there have been a couple fairly recent posts with pictures on these Mausers with left over Simson parts.

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,143 Posts
Some examples that might add to the discussion. First two are from the twins on my avatar. 327w and 328w which are both 1939 E/F Banners. The third one is 1260w which is also a 1939 Banner and is E/C.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Some examples that might add to the discussion. First two are from the twins on my avatar. 327w and 328w which are both 1939 E/F Banners. The third one is 1260w which is also a 1939 Banner and is E/C.
Great pictures thanks.
How is 1260w marked on the left?

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Thanks,
I'm curious as to whether or not there is any pattern to the vertical or horizontal stamping of the C/U?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Holster repaired

I send the matching holster to Jerry Burney, he made the missing strap and replaced the disintergrated stitching on the top cover and front strap keeper. World of difference and completes my rig. Highly recommend him if others are in need of an expert! Rig is now complete unless anyone has Luger tool #1366 or #366 laying around.
Thanks,
Diehard

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts