Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would't mind getting a repro shoulder stock, just to have it, if I can get it cheap. Problem is - it's quite expensive. So, does anyone know where to buy the complete stock, or may be just the metal latch (I can craft my own stock)? Also, if anyone can point me in the direction of useful engeneering schematics of that metal portion of the stock, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
16,719 Posts
Legally you can NOT have a stock unless you own an artillery luger or a navy luger.

No fun if you can't actually use it, and hiding it in the house and shooting with it on a 4 inch is very illegal.

Ed

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Astonishing! So here´s at least one thing that´s more liberal over here. Our club has an annual trophy shoot for LPs, Navies & Mausers.

Whale, I doubt you´d get much pleasure out of a Luger stock. The stock iron tends to work loose after only a few rounds. Repro stock irons work loose even faster. It´s irritating to have the stock rattle around whilst shooting. Take a look at the pics of custom rigs on Werle s site (http://www.touri.de/werle/) - he mostly fixes a stock to the lanyard loop. Werle is Germany´s leading Luger gunsmith - and could most likely supply what you want.

I´ve got a surplus stock you could have in exchange for anything Luger that I´ve not yet got - but postage would most likely be prohibitive (to Germany).

Download Attachment: lpstock.jpg
36.01KB

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
11,454 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Weimar_Police

Legally you can NOT have a stock unless you own an artillery luger or a navy luger.
Ed, Perhaps this is a typo on your part but either way I think this is not entirely correct. I believe you may own a stock seperately legally without owning either an Artillery or a Navy pistol. Owning a Luger stock in and of itself is not illegal. As you say, attaching one to a 4" Luger is. So is attaching an Artillery to a Navy and vice versa.
Just want to clear that up...Jerry Burney

·
Registered
597 Posts
Jerry wrote: "attaching one to a 4" Luger is (illegal). So is attaching an Artillery to a Navy and vice versa."

I believe this to be the case, but it is a remarkably foolish rule. It is my understanding that attaching a carbine stock to a Navy or Arty is also against the rules. I traded for a carbine stock, as I thought it would be fun to use it with my artillery shooter, but I was advised this is also illegal in the U.S.

·
Super Moderator
5,608 Posts
Hi,

Maybe this will help. It's from the 1939 DWM Company history and clearly shows a stock attached to a P08. Certainly the manufacturer didn't think it was strange to fit one to a short-barrel P08 and it also shows that it's 'historically correct' to have a P08 connected to a shoulder stock.

Download Attachment: image012.jpg
12.16KB

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Switching to pedantic mode for a moment--

Here is a link to the pertinent part of the ATF Curios and Relics list http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/curios/sec3.htm The Luger stock information is cut-and-pasted below:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
SECTION III: Weapons Removed From The NFA As Collector's Items And Classified As Curios Or Relics Under The GCA

The Bureau has determined that by reason of the date of their manufacture, value, design and other characteristics, the following firearms are primarily collector's items and are not likely to be used as weapons and, therefore, are excluded from the provisions of the National Firearms Act.

Luger, Artillery model, pistols having chamber dates of 1914 through 1918 or 1920, having German Weimar Navy markings consisting of the letter M over an anchor and a German Navy property number accompanied by original Artillery Luger flat board stocks, bearing German Weimar Navy markings of the letter M over an anchor with or without Navy property numbers.

Luger, the 1920 Commercial Artillery model, pistols as mfd. by DWM or Erfurt, having undated chambers, commercial proofmarks, and bearing the inscription Germany or Made in Germany on the receiver and accompanied by original, German mfd., artillery type, detachable wooden shoulder stocks.

Luger, DWM Pistol, model 1900, 1902, or 1906, in 7.65 Luger or 9mm parabellum cal., having the American Eagle chamber crest, and barrel lengths of either 4" or 4-3/4, with original detachable Ideal shoulder stocks and Ideal frame grips.

DWM Luger, Original models 1904, 1906, 1908, 1914 and 1920. Naval pistols in 9mm parabellum or 7.65mm cal., in both the Commercial and Naval military varieties; in both altered and unaltered barrel lengths in themodel 1904 and in both altered and unaltered safety markings in the model 1906; with original board-type detachable shoulder stocks bearing brass or iron discs, with or without markings, or, if without brass or iron discs, being of the Navy flat board-type. This exemption applies only to the listed Naval Luger pistols if mated to the Naval Luger stock and will not apply if theNaval Luger pistol is mated to the Artillery stock. The Naval stock has an overall dimension of 12-3/4", a rear width of 4-5/8", a front width of 1-1/2", a rear thickness of 9/16", and a front thickness of l-3/16".

Luger, DWM Stoeger model 1920 and 1923, semiautomatic pistols in 7.65mm or 9mm parabellum cal., in barrel lengths of 8, 10, 12, and 12-1/2", having either American Eagle chamber crests and/or Stoeger frame and/or upper receiver marks, having either standard, Navy or artillery rear sights, having extractors marked either "Loaded" or "Geladen" and having frame safety markings of either "Gesichert" or "Safe," together w/original commercial flat board stocks of the artillery type, which bear no S/Ns or military proof marks;may include a "Germany" marking.

Luger, DWM Pistol-Carbine, model 1920, 7.65mm or 9mm parabellum cal., with accompanying original commercial type shoulder stock, with or without forearm piece, having barrel lengths of 11-3/4" to less than 16".

Luger, German model 1914, Artillery model pistol, mfd. by DWM or Erfurt, having chambers dated 1914 - -1918, bearing Imperial German military proofmarks & accompanied by original, German mfd., artillery type, detachable wooden shoulder stocks.

Luger, model 1902, Pistol-Carbine, 7.65mm Luger with original commercial type shoulder stock and forearm and 11-3/4" barrel. Luger, Persian (Iranian) Artillery model, pistols, as mfd. by Mauser prior to 1945, accompanied by the original artillery type, detachable wooden shoulder stock, bearing a S/N in Farsi characters stamped into the wood on the left side.

Luger, semiautomatic pistol, certain variations with Benke-Thiemann folding shoulder stock
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm really curious about which "certain variations" are legit with the Benke Thiemann stock.

Here is a link to a letter pertaining to reproduction stocks http://www.lugerforum.com/BATF.html

--Dwight

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Dwight,

Very informative!

However, I wonder when the last time someone was busted for the heinous crime af attaching the wrong type board to a 1916 dated Artillery luger? Yikes, I shot that combo down the range last week and gave one of the cops shooting with me a try. Hope he doesn't turn me in! Geez I wonder how many ATF officers know the difference between a DWM military and commercial gun?

Seriously, it is good to know the law. I had no idea that a repro stock was illegal on one of these guns.

Mark

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Mark, Here in Oregon our Game officers are State Troopers. I once got checked while deer hunting. I had two Grouse in my truck that I had taken at close range with 38 Spec. shot shells out of an old 6" S&W M&P. When he asked how I had taken them (I did'nt have a shotgun) I told him.
He informed me that I had taken them illegally. He wrote me a ticket for $75 and confiscated the Grouse. About 2or3 hours later he drove up behind me and I stopped. He walked up to the truck, handed me the Grouse and asked for the ticket. He said that he had been looking for me for 2 hrs. He said that he had checked the regs. and that I had taken the Grouse legally. He apologized and drove off.
So, it just goes to show you that most officers don't always know how to interperate some of these convoluted laws. If I had taken them with a stocked Luger and 9mm shot shells. It probably would have come out the same way.
Ron

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
quote:Originally posted by Olefogey

Eugene,
Ed is right....it is illegal to use a board stock on a 4" Luger....That said...SARCO in N.J. sells repros!!

Dave
As I understand, my commercial 1920 DWM would be on that removed list, right? (

And, according to the letter from BATF, it's OK to use a repro, right? (

Just for my information: Is it unlawful to even possess the stock in the residence? And, are there any exeptions in the law for cops and military (sometimes there are)?

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
As I understand, my commercial 1920 DWM would be on that removed list, right?

Only if its a Commercial Artillery.

And, according to the letter from BATF, it's OK to use a repro, right?

Yup.

Just for my information: Is it unlawful to even possess the stock in the residence?

It has been suggested elsewhere that there could be a principle of "presumtive intent" in this circumstance. Note, I do not have a confirming source for this.

And, are there any exeptions in the law for cops and military (sometimes there are)?

I haven't read of any...

--Dwight

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
This looks very much like the dreaded "preemptive submission" we were repeatedly warned against at Officers Training School. The correct response is to go out and get a Luger stock immediately, fix it to your Luger - and shoot.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Dwight,

Sorry I missed that 2nd link, my bad.....

Shooting a long barreled luger with a stock is FUN!

Thanks for the info.

My shooter Artillery is made up of parts from a few old lugers. Hope it is legal but don't think most folks know the difference.

Mark

·
Registered
506 Posts
hello all; anyone wanting a flat board stock with the attaching iron--Numerich Arms,(gunparts corp.) west hurley, n.y. sells a lovely repro made of nice black walnut, light sanding on the edges, "watco" danish oil finish and you have a lovely repro. the repro leather is available from CMR (i believe) in england . e-mail me at home < [email protected] > i can supply specific #s and addresses. --john--

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.