Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A fellow collector supplied the following photographs and description of Luger, serial number M72. It has some of the characteristics of some 29DWM’s (E/H and E/WaA66 stamps). It has a police sear safety and police magazine numbered 1.

DESCRIPTION of M72
Left side: sear safety, 72 on side plate
Left receiver: C/N and M72
Right receiver: E/WaA 66 and E/H
Top: 1920 Reichswehr property stamp, receiver cut for tangent sight.
Front of frame: M72
Bottom of barrel(poor photograph??): C/N and 72
Bottom of magazine: 72, dove acceptance stamp and police number 1.

The receiver cut for a tangent sight and 1920 Reichswehr property stamp indicates that the receiver was left over from World War I production and the Luger was probably 1920 Reichswehr property stamped sometime between late 1920 and early 1921. Almost all the E/WaA66 Lugers previously examined appear to be of new manufacture.

Weimar Lugers page 243 shows a similar Luger, serial number M10, and three other M prefix serial range Lugers are listed, M9, M26, and M28. Any additional information on these interesting M prefix Lugers would be greatly appreciated.
Jan

Download Attachment: luger 002.jpg
53.12 KB

Download Attachment: 7.jpg
109.84 KB

Download Attachment: luger 2 001.jpg
67.13 KB

·
Registered
25 Posts
Jan, hello again.Its been over a year since i have been able to log on,i see there is talk about the M numbered guns.My M10 is the one my dad sent to you to photograph for your book.I am very interested in finding out what this gun is. Good to be on boards again. Mark Studelska

·
Registered
93 Posts
Here is M81 checking in.

Thia luger does not have a police sear safety. This gun is completely marked either M81 or 81, including the magazine and the grips.
Barrel is marked 81 and CN. Receiver is cut for a tangent rear sight.
Left receiver: CN and M81.
Right receiver: E/H and E/WaA66.
Receiver: Top is not marked,
Front of frame: marked M81
Good luck on finding out what this is! Bill Hughes

·
Copper Bullet Member
3,500 Posts
The receiver cut for a tangent sight and 1920 Reichswehr property stamp indicates that the receiver was left over from World War I production and the Luger was probably 1920 Reichswehr property stamped sometime between late 1920 and early 1921.
Jan, recently unearthed documentation has shown that the German police also used the 1920 stamp to identify their property prior to the disarming of the population. I suspect the 1920 stamp on this pistol indicates it was in a police inventory in late 1920 - early 1921.

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,233 Posts
M99 has just been found by a friend of mine. Gripstrap marked S.Ar.II.1438

·
Copper Bullet Member
3,500 Posts
If I have it right, serial numbers m9, 10, 26, 28, 47, 81, 91 and 99 have been reported so far. Obviousness as well as statistical analysis suggests there were only about 100 of these manufactured. If so, 8% of these have been observed. This is a rather large percentage of "survivors." However, I see no reason to doubt their authenticity.

·
Registered
55 Posts
David Rachwal owns yet another example of an M-prefix DWM Luger numbered M87 including the magazine. Photo's appear in the Dec 2012 issue of Automag, the monthly journal of the NAPCA. So far it seems there is evidence for a theory that up to 100 were so marked from #1-100, mostly police (sear) models, on posts in the Luger Forum including comments by Jan Still. I will advance a theory based on my intuition to see if it gains any traction. In manufacturing often there are pilot runs prior to full scale production of anything made on an assembly line. It may be possible that the first 100 guns produced were part of an initial "pilot run". If so, it is possible that the “m” prefix followed by numbers up to 100 stands for “Muster, Musterstück, or Musterbild” all various German words for sample, model, prototype, standard. There is even a phrase “Muster ohne Wert” in German that means a production sample with no commercial value which could be the case here. I am putting this theory into the Luger Forum for comment. Feel free to advance evidence for or against.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
With the quantity of Lugers and parts that the Germans had postwar to build with, and in view of what I {think} I know about their production methods and capabilities, I would doubt that the 'M' prefix with these guns was any kind of a pre-production/test/trial designation.
Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
does anyone have a copy of this automag magazine, I'd like to see the pictures of M87. While were at it I'd love to see the pages from Jan's book showing M10 and the other low numbered lugers. I can't find a copy of his books anywhere.

By the Way...how long does it take before the "new member" statement by your avatar changes.....I've been a new member since May of 2011 lol

Thanx to all

Pete

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Say Pete, was reading through and saw your "new member" question, it's # of posts not time in. Other designations like "gold bullet" etc. are attained by donating to the forum. Could you post photos of your "M" it would be really interesting and add nicely to this thread. JB

·
Administrator
15,547 Posts
If you start your own thread, then you can subscribe and know only the comments are for you.

your member status changes due to how many postings you have. More posts don't mean you know more, but it sure means you are willing to participate and share with others. Folks not willing to share, I am puzzled why they think everyone else should share with them ;)

·
Registered
14,166 Posts
Ed,

I thought since Jan Still opening this discussion some years back with the M72 Pistol and others chimed in with their SN's to report; it would be logical that our latest member's contribution in this same thread would keep all such reportings in the same thread that Jan started.

Just call me OCD, if you will...

·
Administrator
15,547 Posts
probably Pete, me too, we just looking at it from diff angles - that said, would rather see the info / pictures posted anywhere than not :)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.