Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several P08s with holsters.What is a good way to store them?
Right now I keep them in a sealable plastic tupperware box,in the holsters, with a dessicant bag inside.I keep them oiled and so far I have had no rust problems.Would appreciate any suggestions.Thanks

· Administrator
16,738 Posts
Most people will tell you NOT to keep them in the holsters, as holster can trap moisture, acid might leech out of the leather etc.

Tupperware could also trap in moisture, but using those bags that suck up mositure, that ought to help?

Much depends on where you live, on how dry it is?

Ed

· Administrator
16,738 Posts
I am sure just fine.

I store mine in two ways, but checking them reasonably often;

1. On the wall for a few of them, oiled and checked every now and then.
2. In the safe, inside of bore-store bags, lightly oiled before putting into the sock/bag.

Checking every now and then is needed, but all depends on where you live and what the weather is like, i.e. dry or wet.

Ed

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks once again for your info. This is really a good website. As soon as I figure out how to get pictures loaded I would like to show and possibly trade some items I've picked up.

· Administrator
16,738 Posts
There is a tutorial, under the help section of this same forum, it is okay, shows pictures and such. Posting pictures is easy once you have done it a few times.

Ed

· Registered
732 Posts
"How would one of the aluminum breifcases with the foam liners work ?"

NOT RECOMMENDED
The foam also traps moisture and, in my experience, sometimes begins to decompose, especially if it has any rubber in its composition. These things are designed for transport, not storage.

Tom A.

· Platinum Bullet member
6,534 Posts
I'm with Tom. I use the aluminum briefcases with foam for two layers of pistols to transport. Cheap at Walmart.

For storage, I stand them on their heads on shelves in my gun safe. My commercial inventory is often stored in ziplock bags.

Smaller accoutrements I store in plastic pencil boxes now on sale at $0.79 at Staples. These things are perfect for double mag pouches, lanyards, smaller manuals and condoms.

· Gold Bullet Member
1,844 Posts
My experience with storage of Lugers and holsters started the wrong way. I liked to keep them together. So I wrapped the Luger in special acid-free and oil blocking paper, and put it gently into the holster. I thought that in this way, the holster would maintain its proper form, and that the holster would be protected from oil by the paper.

Furthermore I had put a moist-absorbing agent into a big safe, what must have been put in the basement of my 1911 house, before they finished the walls and the rest of the house around it. It is impossible to remove the 2.000 Lbs heavy museum-piece out, and when the Belgian Police officers came to inspect the thing before I got a licence for collecting 30+ weapons, they were full of admiration for the 10" thick walls and also the door. "That is a safe like the Bank of Brussels". I got my license.

This safe is really air-tight. That was the main reason that my Lugers needed oiling every two months, and (worse) that the holsters were showing alarming signs of cracks and crispy sounds of dry leather when bending the flaps...

After a year or so, I have separeted the holsters from their Lugers. The pistols are still in the safe, I have no other choise, but I have managed to drill a few holes through the 'pantzer' of the walls. (Hope the Police wont see them). Since that, the film of oil keeps in good shape, may be also because I changed the drying agent to a pad of Napier Super vp 90 - a British product that is also available in the USA - www.napierusa.com.

The holsters? They are now in a wooden closet. Everyone just enveloped in a flanel bag, and to keep the correct form wrapped up with uncolored woolen fabric. I installed a simple device unto the inside of the door of the closet, known as a 'piano - moisturer'. Every dealer of piano's can help you. It is a tube, filled with moist absorbing material. Every two to six month, depending on the climat you live in, you put the tube into the bathtub, and let it absorb some water. Thereafter you put it back on the two hooks inside of the cabinet. It just takes care of a slight enhanced humidity. Just what my holsters needed. It is like an bigger cigar - humidor.

This worked out very good for me. Both Lugers and holsters look healthy and whealthy, and there is abolutely no sign of corroding of copper parts on the holsters. The leather feels fine, no cracking anymore.

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This sounds like the way to go.I have a large military wooden chest that would be great for the holsters.I will try to find the other items that you mentioned such as the bags.My lugers are all rigs and I really like keeping them together but I guess that is not best.
Thank you for this great info. Joe T

· Gold Bullet Member
1,844 Posts
Hi Joe,
Just happy that I could help you.
You will see: it works perfectly.
Just one more tip. I used HP T-shirt printing sheets to mark the outside
of the flanel bags with the type, year and SN of the corresponding Luger belonging to the holster inside. (After I had opened three times every bag looking for one only).
Regards.

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just posting a few pics to show the outcome of the advice of Joop.This basically is his storage idea and it worked out very well.Am also using the Napier sachets and cleaner.This forum is absolutely the BEST for collector information.
PS It really was a nice job getting that safe down the stairs!

· Gold Bullet Member
1,844 Posts
Hello Joe,

That is a really fine job you achieved. Whow - the old safe finely restored, with drawers for 6 Luger each. And the wooden cabinet nively fitting on top of the safe. I suppose that you had the help of a skilled craftsman.

This is a sophisticated storage for your collection. Congratulations!
I feel a bit proud that I helped you in your decision to split the storage of Lugers and Holsters.
Happy hunting ! (there are some empty places to fill...).

G

·
I have stored my Lugers and Colts individually in zipper gun rugs for years. You can find them cheap at the gun shows and they provide plenty of protection. If you live in a area of high humidity then you must deal with that problem also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.