Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Gold Bullet Member
1,844 Posts
My experience with storage of Lugers and holsters started the wrong way. I liked to keep them together. So I wrapped the Luger in special acid-free and oil blocking paper, and put it gently into the holster. I thought that in this way, the holster would maintain its proper form, and that the holster would be protected from oil by the paper.

Furthermore I had put a moist-absorbing agent into a big safe, what must have been put in the basement of my 1911 house, before they finished the walls and the rest of the house around it. It is impossible to remove the 2.000 Lbs heavy museum-piece out, and when the Belgian Police officers came to inspect the thing before I got a licence for collecting 30+ weapons, they were full of admiration for the 10" thick walls and also the door. "That is a safe like the Bank of Brussels". I got my license.

This safe is really air-tight. That was the main reason that my Lugers needed oiling every two months, and (worse) that the holsters were showing alarming signs of cracks and crispy sounds of dry leather when bending the flaps...

After a year or so, I have separeted the holsters from their Lugers. The pistols are still in the safe, I have no other choise, but I have managed to drill a few holes through the 'pantzer' of the walls. (Hope the Police wont see them). Since that, the film of oil keeps in good shape, may be also because I changed the drying agent to a pad of Napier Super vp 90 - a British product that is also available in the USA - www.napierusa.com.

The holsters? They are now in a wooden closet. Everyone just enveloped in a flanel bag, and to keep the correct form wrapped up with uncolored woolen fabric. I installed a simple device unto the inside of the door of the closet, known as a 'piano - moisturer'. Every dealer of piano's can help you. It is a tube, filled with moist absorbing material. Every two to six month, depending on the climat you live in, you put the tube into the bathtub, and let it absorb some water. Thereafter you put it back on the two hooks inside of the cabinet. It just takes care of a slight enhanced humidity. Just what my holsters needed. It is like an bigger cigar - humidor.

This worked out very good for me. Both Lugers and holsters look healthy and whealthy, and there is abolutely no sign of corroding of copper parts on the holsters. The leather feels fine, no cracking anymore.

· Gold Bullet Member
1,844 Posts
Hi Joe,
Just happy that I could help you.
You will see: it works perfectly.
Just one more tip. I used HP T-shirt printing sheets to mark the outside
of the flanel bags with the type, year and SN of the corresponding Luger belonging to the holster inside. (After I had opened three times every bag looking for one only).
Regards.

· Gold Bullet Member
1,844 Posts
Hello Joe,

That is a really fine job you achieved. Whow - the old safe finely restored, with drawers for 6 Luger each. And the wooden cabinet nively fitting on top of the safe. I suppose that you had the help of a skilled craftsman.

This is a sophisticated storage for your collection. Congratulations!
I feel a bit proud that I helped you in your decision to split the storage of Lugers and Holsters.
Happy hunting ! (there are some empty places to fill...).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.