Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody out there.
Talking with another collector from Swizerland this evening, he told me that he got 2 mags with wood bottoms and a blued body - that is exactly what I have in my collection!
I have seen a lot of magazines already and I think I can recognize a fake, but in this case I be 99% shure that the magazine was originally mounted together in the early days, I cant see any rework tracs ore something - but why is a mag with wood bottom blued and not nickel plated? My mag however does not have any numbers ore markings but seems 99% correct to me!
Which explanation is possible?
- to use old parts
- a subvariation between the nickel aluminium bottom and the blued aluminium bottom type?

Download Attachment: detail.jpeg
47.17KB

G

·
I have encountered the same situation and it makes me scratch my head! In this case, the magazine was for a 1917 LP-08 which looked correct to me even though many collectors would question such as annomolie.

Albert

G

·
I have encountered the same situation and it makes me scratch my head! In this case, the magazine was for a 1917 LP-08 which looked correct to me even though many collectors would question such as annomolie.

Albert

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is another picture!
A idea of me: could be that in the late days of WWI nickel was rare and they did decide to blue the magazines???

Roland

Download Attachment: holzert.jpeg
42.03KB

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Hello everybody
I see those mags for the 1935 GNR in the mag pouche ,but it's perhaps a mistake to see them at this place

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,688 Posts
Roland
I have seen a bunch of blued body, wooden bottom mags coming in from Russia!! They do not have any numbers on the wood. A company by the name of Interordnance has been selling them. As you probably know, the Russians seemed to dip blue everything they captured!! Maybe they did the same to mags, although it would be hard to blue over nickel without stripping them first.

Dave

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Pisto, It would be nice if you could post more pictures. In the phots so far it apears there may be some residual copper plating showing. On your first post this would be on the magazine just below the wood boss.

A blued mag from the Weimar era I could understand, My 1915 police has a correctly numbered Haenel Schmeisser with a wood bottom. However it has the police "2" instead of a plus so it was obviously tinkered with somewhere.

The magazines you are showing appear to be the crimped sheet metal variety, not extruded Haenel Schmeissers. Is it possible the Nickle plating has become discolored? This can happen in some harsh environments.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Better PICS!!!

Hello Heinz and Dave,
the magazine is a crimped sheet metal varietv., of course.
What I can say for shure, that it never had been nickel plated and there is no chopper remaining on the magazine body - copper is sometimes used to chrome metal parts - but I dont think that nickel needs any copper on the base.

Download Attachment: GrößenänderungSIMG0002.jpg
20.86KBproblem at home. (hope that will solve soon)
So again, the mag looks correct to my like ALBERT is saying that too!!
I m making mylelf wood bases reproductions, and I have some experience with recognizing them - but anyhow, hope we can find something to explain that courios thing.

Download Attachment: GrößenänderungSIMG0001.jpg
19KB

·
Registered
406 Posts
If I were required to render an opinion based on the pictures, which really are not that definative, I would say that the finish on the mag bodies is not original.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts