Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an old lugerholster with unit markings today.

It was originally a LP.08 holster with the top flap secured by a stud, cleaning rod pouch and attachment for sholder stock.

Later (probably during the weimar period) it was cut down to fit a standard P.08, the cleaning rod pouch was replaced by a mag pouch, and the stud closure was replaced by a standard army buckle closure.

On the inside it is marked both "J.t.C(...), BERLIN, 1915" and also marked "L.EFFEKTEN, (...) RICHTER, (...) 1918". It is sadly not possible to read all of it.

But the holster also has two unit markings:
The flap is marked:
6/49.11C
The back is marked:
S.Kö.I.1838

Anyone know what unit's they are?
Thanks

·
Registered
406 Posts
quote:Originally posted by student1979

The flap is marked:

The back is marked:

Thanks
S.Kö.I.1838 = Schutzpolizei Koln, 1st Police Command area, property #1838.

6/49.11C = This is not according to regs for marking weapons, however, this was not required for holsters. The use of the "/" to separate the first groups of numbers leads me to believe that these are Weimar markings. 6th company of the 49th regiment of something. The 11C I don't recognize. When you ask for interpretations of unit markings it is helpful to indicate the sizes of the various letters and numbers.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The size of the numbers/letters are the same. It is stamped on the outside of the flap, just above the strap that goes down to the buckle.

The marking 6/49.11C is stamped "up side down" when you look straight at the holster, when you wear the holster in the belt, and open the flap, you read it right if you look down at the flap on the holster.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Student1979
The way your describing the location of the unit markings under the top cover of the holster, strongly indicates they are Weimar military.
This Luger holster had an exciting life, Imperial, then Weimar military and then police issue. Started out matching a LP-08 then shortened for a P-08.
This is a good example of the historical information of a multipal unit marked item.
Nice find
Joe

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a quite good picture of the marking, but it's to big to post here. And I'm not so good with computers, so I can't edit it. Maybe I can mail it to one of you who can help me?

·
Registered
98 Posts
quote:Originally posted by garfield

The flap is marked:

The back is marked:

Thanks

6/49.11C = This is not according to regs for marking weapons, however, this was not required for holsters. The use of the "/" to separate the first groups of numbers leads me to believe that these are Weimar markings. 6th company of the 49th regiment of something. The 11C I don't recognize. When you ask for interpretations of unit markings it is helpful to indicate the sizes of the various letters and numbers.
Garfield,

I agree with you on your police unit ID. However, there was no 49th regiment in the Weimar Reichswehr. This could be an Imperial unit mark. I can only offer my thoughts because it's not in the books.
According to a directive of the G.P.K. Nr. 314 A.I.2 of Feb.15th 1918, every Inf.-Jaeger-and Sturmkompanie received 10 LP08's and P-Kasten. It is possible that "6/49.11C" stands for : 6.LP08 of 11.company of Inf.-Regiment # 49.

Klaus

·
Registered
406 Posts

quote:Originally posted by klaus

The flap is marked:

The back is marked:

Thanks

Garfield,

I agree with you on your police unit ID. However, there was no 49th regiment in the Weimar Reichswehr. This could be an Imperial unit mark. I can only offer my thoughts because it's not in the books.
According to a directive of the G.P.K. Nr. 314 A.I.2 of Feb.15th 1918, every Inf.-Jaeger-and Sturmkompanie received 10 LP08's and P-Kasten. It is possible that "6/49.11C" stands for : 6.LP08 of 11.company of Inf.-Regiment # 49.

Klaus
Klaus:

Thank you for the information. I was speculating and should have made it clear that such was the case.

Good Hunting

·
Registered
496 Posts
Student
My mistake in the information previously suppied to you by me on this unit mark. Your posted picture shows the location of the unit markings on the outside of the flap. It is not where the Weimar military usually marked their holsters.
Sorry for any confusion I caused you.
Joe

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats OK. :)
But does anyone have any idea what the marking means??
Still havent gotten a good, clear answer...
But I must say, the marking looks very old..
If you hold the holster in your hand it looks like it is as old as the holster itself (1915).

·
Registered
98 Posts

Thats OK. :)
But does anyone have any idea what the marking means??
Still havent gotten a good, clear answer...
But I must say, the marking looks very old..
If you hold the holster in your hand it looks like it is as old as the holster itself (1915).
Student,

read my lips, this unit mark ain't in the books !!! You won't get a good, clear answer !!!

Klaus

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.