Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process collectig new Lugers,made by Mauser. Also, at this time I would like to compliment all the Luger collectors participating in this forum ( Outstanding).
Can one of you advise me as to the various type of Lugers, Mauser
manufactured in 1970 to 1980.
Thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator
5,364 Posts
Hi,

Try to get hold of 'The Mauser Parabellum' by Francis Allen. Offers a good overview. Also check out Mauro Baudino's website http://lugerlp08.free.fr/ which has some interesting MP info.

Basically, the production can be divided into the 29/70 and the 06/73. The first was the 1970 to mid-seventies production run with the straight front grip and other Swiss characteristics. The second was the more P08-like version. Either was produced in 30 luger and 9mm. Many, many small series and commemoratives were produced and Mauser would build and finish a pistol to anyone's spefications as long as they paid.

Also check out the website of Holger Veh. He purchased a number of collector grade items when Mauser packed in production. This includes in the white pistols, unbuilt pistols, prototypes and tool room versions. www.teuto-arms.de He's not too keen on selling and hates haggling so be prepared :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello.

I recently came across these two pistols in a set from Interarms. Both are Mauser Banner and American Eagle stamped in 9mm. One is 4" and the other is 6". I don't know much about them, but bought them because they were beautiful, mint and came in the presentation case. They were purchased off a table in the Ft.Myers, Florida gun show. I thought you might enjoy seeing them and I would appreciate any information you might have regarding these reproductions, history, etc.

Regards,

Augie

Download Attachment: MVC-001S.JPG
20.84KB

Download Attachment: MVC-002S.JPG
28.87KB

Download Attachment: MVC-003S.JPG
39.77KB

Download Attachment: MVC-004S.JPG
38.75KB

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello Rudy and Friends,

Right now I'm just trying to get information on what I have. I'm still enjoying just looking at them. As I said, I bought them on a whim. Sometimes you have to buy something just because, at that moment, it is for sale. Many times I've played it safe and then was sorry at a missed opportunity. At the same show, I passed on a clean
"Liberator" that the owner was asking $400.00 for- later I was sorry when I read they can go for $1000.00. If more pictures or info on these guns (matching serial numbers) is needed to help me with information, it would be a pleasure.

Thanks,

Augie

Download Attachment: MVC-005S.JPG
36.04KB

·
Super Moderator
5,364 Posts
Hi,

The box was made for/by Interarms and not by Mauser. They are both 06/73 models.
A very nice set. Both 9mm?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, both are 9mm and they are not matching serial numbers, as I previously stated, erroneously.

They also look, to me, more German than the Swiss variations. Am I correct? Would anyone have an opinion on their value?

Thanks,

Augie

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The 29/70 (1968/9) & 06/73 (approx. 1971) were based on the machinery imported from Switzerland for the Interarms "collector" market. The 06/73 looked more like a German Luger. From then on, a variety of different models were produced (.45, chromed, engraved etc.). Frames were made elsewhere; some say by a German sewing machine company. The "commemorative" models were made from 1975 onwards. The last "commemorative" could have been the LP o8 in 1985. These Mauser Lugers were nothing like DWM quality - and most people here did not consider them as shootable. Since then, Mauser has "re-worked" "fully numbered" Lugers. They are highly polished, the number stamps are renewed and are obviously an attempt to cash in on the collector market. They are to be found in the small ads but have not held their price at all well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Unshootable??? Are you kidding??? You've got me scared!!! I know the guys/gals (haven't heard much from the gals) on this forum are very serious people, dedicated and knowledgeable, and very conservative. Yet, I'm skeptical... I've seen price estimates here that seemed way out of line (too low) with the market- maybe more a wish than a reality. However, your conservatism has, in the past, saved me money and given me an argument with a "bull-sh-ter", (they always back off), and kept me from being overly zealous- which I readily admit. I am very happy that I have your guidance and think your opinions are very valuable.

Unshootable???? Please, other opinions... things are not that bad, are they??? Did I buy a dog (s)????

aUGIE

·
Platinum Bullet Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Augie,
Patrick needs to substantiate his assesment on new Mauser Lugers.
I do know that Mauser has always produced high quality weapons, as well as manufacturing sytems. Mauser's manufacturing systems are used in a wide range of industries, including making weapons. Get a book by Michael Reese "LUGER TIPS". You will find a section on " The new Luger". It may put your mind at ease. With reference to shooting. I have a Swiss and P.08 Mauser Luger. Both guns are of High quality, and accurate. Patrick Needs to Give us more detail information on Mauser Lugers.

Rudy

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Mauser´s decline, their lack of innovation, the re-introduction of Lugers adapted to the imported Swiss machinery and with sub-contracted parts, mainly made for the export market that Cummings´Interarms thought it could create - and finally their attempts to cash in on the "commemoration" market with over-polished ex-arsenal Mauser & DWM Lugers ended with the ignominious sale of their scrap metal stock to two or three German gunsmiths. Since then, eastern block imports have ensured a steady supply of cheap original parts and the gunsmiths have been left with their unsaleable Mauser stock. The "comemorative" Russian, Portuguese etc. Lugers were mainly purchased as an investment. Maybe, one day, they might turn out to be valuable, like the "presentation" 1911s that are offered for seemingly all occasions. But for shooting purposes, a re-worked P08 or a Swiss Luger would seem to me to be a better choice.

·
Super Moderator
5,364 Posts
Hi,

Well, I've shot my 06/72-and-a-half .30 Mauser Parabellum and I must say it's not bad at all. The magazine springs are too tight and caused feeding problems and MecGars worked better. The pistol does need some more 'breaking-in' shooting to get things going smoothly. Same thing was necccessary for my Frankonia-renovated P08. The glossy salt-dip blue seems to need a bit of use and time to get parts functioning properly (excess blue neeeds to 'shave off').

I must admit that a pre-war P08 and certainly the postwar VoPo feel less fragile than the Mauser Parabellum while shooting, but it may just be a thought.

Only wish that more ammo suppliers would make .30 luger again....

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Vlim,

... are there any others apart from Fiocchi? I got hold of a batch of unmarked cases (.. had to drill the primer hole out to standard size). But have had no success reloading the Fiocchi cases as the shoulder crumples when seating the bullt. The brass seems to be too soft. Gunsmiths here keep telling me that Lapua is considereing re- introduction of 7.65 Luger. Once Fiocchi stops making them, there´ll be no alternative but to re-size them from NATO .223 REM; they make good cases ... but a load of effort.

Download Attachment: 30luger2.jpg
75.14KB

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Hi Patrick,I have used Fiocchi and am very pleased with their new ammo.

I see no reason why they would stop making the .30 Luger.In any event,

I have purchased enough to last a long time.I believe Winchester still

sells .30 Luger buy their price is about double the price of Fiocchi.

As far as reloading you might try Winchester cases.

Bob Young

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Spartacus38
with all the restrictions here in Europe, it´s getting ever harder to find anything there isn´t a mass demand for. Fiocchi is the only supplier left over here. But I can t complain, Germany is still the country with the fewest restrictions - and even seems to be improving lately. I´d like to know what I´m doing wrong re-loading Fiocchi in that the case shoulders collapse when the bullet is inserted. i´ve tried opening out the case but I think it must be something to do with the crimp setting.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.