Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have asked my share of "stupid" questions, but I have another. I recently acquired an 1895 Russian Nagant that appears to have seen its share of battles. (I wish I were set up to post pictures). I don't know the arsenal (Star with a vertical arrow). Russian weapons are not my field. This is dated 1939. The strange thing is that it has a CHROME lined bore. I have been informed that it possibly went through China to Vietnam,...I acquired it from one of my fellow Vet buddies. Has anyone seen one with a chrome bore before??

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
If I remember correctly and don't know when the Russians started this practice but certainly post 1945, that all Russian small arm weapons have chromed lined barrels.

·
Registered
950 Posts
My uncle was production manager at the Mauser plant in Berlin during WWII. He told me that after the first Russian weapons have been shipped to the plant for examination, all engineers were surprised at the hard chrome plating of the barrels.
The Mauser engineers recognized of course the great advantage and build up a new facility to treat the machine gun barrels with the same method.

But a chromed Nagant barrel? Never seen.

·
Registered
950 Posts
My uncle was production manager at the Mauser plant in Berlin during WWII. He told me that after the first Russian weapons have been shipped to the plant for examination, all engineers were surprised at the hard chrome plating of the barrels.
The Mauser engineers recognized of course the great advantage and build up a new facility to treat the machine gun barrels with the same method.

But a chromed Nagant barrel? Never seen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts