Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another puzzle I cannot solve without some help...

On the backside (on top, above lanyard loop) of a 1916 DWM LP08 #9754a it reads from top to bottom:

Nr. 8
M.W.A. J.R.186

I know that J.R.186 must be Infantery Regiment 186.
But M.W.A. is a unit-identification I could not find in 'the books'.
Could anyone help me out of this?

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,234 Posts
"Nr.8 M.W.A.J.R.186" I would take this to be Minenwerfer Abteilung of Infantry Regiment 186, weapon number 8.

Joop, It would be nice to see photos of this LP08.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
George,

Thank you for this quick and clear reply.
Well, this LP08 is not my finest piece of artillery...
It has been thouroughly reblued sometimes after 1945 in Belgium, all originally straw coloured parts included. It is a pity that many Lugers got this 'royal' treatment in Belgium. When an old warhorse like this came into the inventory of a dealer, (before the collecting fever started mid 70's) it was common practice to present it as a fine, good looking shooter at an affordable price. So it was cosmetically taken care of...

So I am not too proud of it from a collector's point of view. However, all parts seem to match, the regiment marking making it a historically interesting piece. May be I will publish some pic's of it, but then in a larger item about the 'Belgian reblueing Fever'.

Thanks again for helping me out. I am now looking for the wherabouts of this Mine-Throwing-Unit of the 186 Infantery Regiment. Would like to know where they went into action.

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,234 Posts
Here is a photo of Imperial German Mortar unit with their LP08's. I don't recall if this photo is mine or Mauros.

Download Attachment: minenwerfer1.jpg
267.32KB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.