Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the translation of "Behorden" ?
There is also a Sauer M1930 that is more typically identified with the term, Behorden, sometimes called the Behorden Model. I am not certain if the term has the same meaning on the Mauser and the Sauer. Would appreciate any info.
Also, can anyone direct me to a site, or a book, or provide info.,
verifying the meaning of the Unit markings on this pistol ?
Thanks

Download Attachment: Mauser-M1914-Police-PBHbg-1.jpg
101.9KB
Download Attachment: Mauser-M1914-Police-PBHbg-2.jpg
279.98 KB
Download Attachment: Mauser-M1914-Police-PBHbg-3.jpg
175.16 KB

·
Registered
833 Posts
Pancho,

In Cate's book on J.P. Sauer on page 192 he discusses the refinement of the Sauer Model 1930 Pistol resulting in the Behorden Model (Authority Model). Maybe Behorden means Authority or Municipal market like the police market. The main differnce between the Model 1930 and the Behorden model is the addition of the trigger safety on the Behorden along with a magazine safety and loaded chamber indicator pin. Modifications that a police type authority/agency would be interested in. Hope this helps some maybe somone else can give us further insight--I have always wondered about the meaning or translation of the word into English also.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello Pancho,

the word "Behörde" (correct with two dots on top of the "o" and impossible to pronounce for english speaking people) is used for governmental or municipalty offices. It has no specific meaning when it stands alone, but is often used to name an office like "Strassenbehörde" for the office being responsible for the streets, or "Luftsicherheitsbehörde" for the office being responsible for the security in air traffic.

A "Behörde" is always an official office, it can not been hold by private persons or companies. A synonym for "Behörde" which is better known and easier to pronounce is "Amt", also used only in connection with official offices like "Waffenamt-Abnahme" (WaA) for the office being responsible of checking the guns produced in factories during WW2.

The term "Behördenmodell" has been officially used only with the Sauer model 1930 variation with the additional trigger safety, as desribed by Lloyd, but you will find it sometimes in old cataloges or advertisements also with other guns. Usually only to show the potential customer that the product is so good that it has been accepted by the governmental officials.

Greetings, Andy

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Andy
I am a little confused. Is it approximatley correct to call/translate the Sauer Behorden as the "Authority Model"? If there is a more proper translation what is it?
Thanks
Jan

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Jan,

well words and languages.....

I assume that "authorities" would be the best fitting translation of "Behörde", but you know, I am not a linguist, of course I know what it is in german, but therefore english is not my mother tongue, so what to do ???

Maybe due to the internet we will all speak english in some future and then these problems will be history.

greetings, Andy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.