Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a German marked Mab D and the slide has a slight rattle. Is it normal that the slides were a tad loose? Gun looks well maintained so I doubt it’s a wear or abuse issue.

Thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just picked up a German marked Mab D and the slide has a slight rattle. Is it normal that the slides were a tad loose? Gun looks well maintained so I doubt it’s a wear or abuse issue.

Thanks
Mine rattles as well. I have over 100 German small arms and of the bunch, although a very high-quality example, this variant of occupied pistol has the worst feel and fire of all of them. It feels cheap, it looks cheap and it rattles like it was put together with little craftsmanship. Imagine, if you were issued this piece as your personal SideArm how you would somehow feel that the issuing entity must’ve wished that bad things would happen to you…

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would have to think that the forced French labor didn’t help produce a good final product.

Another interesting thing I noticed was that the recoil spring was very tight on the barrel… almost stuck on. I had to remove the barrel with the spring still on it and gently work it off. Oddly enough, if I switched it around it went on much easier but then the slide was jamming up when I got the gun back together. It seems like the recoil spring is slightly larger diameter on the muzzle end causing it to catch up somehow internally. Never seen a one directional recoil spring.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I have seen plenty of single directional and tight recoil springs and rattling slides, etc. Not just on MAB Ds, almost every type of handgun from every country, at the time there was still a fair bit of hand fitting, and tolerances may not be perfect. While not ideal, it does not affect functionality and I would not be concerned about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts