Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Yes sir, post war. Can tell by the WAC marking on the right side of the slide. They are very neat guns and I've been on the hunt for a pre-war/wartime example for a long time. Great find!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Robin, a very nice little, post war,French pistol!....... I like these little pistols too!
Joe

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very very nice Pistols. looking for a war time one too .

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I've never seen a 6.35 marked with German military markings.......They were never sanctioned in that caliber. They used 6,35 in Spanish, French, Belgium, or German vest pockets among others.
Joe

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
According to Huon, the serial number sequences from pre-occupation guns were continued by the Germans. According to a factory letter dated March 1967, a total of 1130 Model A pistols were manufactured during the occupation, with serial numbers in the range from 107900 to 109240. Some pistols produced during the occupation received a Waffenamt acceptance stamp on the grip tang on the right side of the frame.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I would always be suspect that any 6.35 pistols would have German military markings. They were purchased by the military like some Spanish Astra 200s and Belgium Melinors and do have "test proofs".....none had military acceptance marks. I went through the "Axis pistols" and saw none listed as being military marked with the two mentioned above with proof test marks. Jan's book is not the Bible on Axis pistols, but a lot of people use it for references on specific weapons and I'm sure these military marked pistols (6,35) would have showed up there.......I've been here (the Forum) sixteen years and have never seen one listed
Joe

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
makes me wonder if people are not confusing the German proof eagle with a "waffenamt" and using the term interchangeably. I too have never seen one with a waffenamt just German proofs or not proofed at all and you need to go by serial number ranges. until now that is LOL. I can't really enlarge the detail enough to tell, but on the face of it, it does appear to be a legit mark. The E/Waa251 mark is a well known faked mark but the fake marks have a tell. this one doesn't, so there is always a first.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
It's difficult to know if it is a fake mark, they make them pretty good.
But the pistol came from a private person not a dealer.
His father had it a long time. Not sure from where.
I hear there is another one around serial Nr. 107902.
So, who knows.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
well, it certainly looks legit. when you compare it to the known fake 251 stamps that you see on the like the Star B's. plus then why would someone take a real gun in the correct serial range and place a fake stamp on it? there are plenty of guns out there known only for their serial range. why mess that up with a fake stamp? I like it. The German MAB A is still one of those on my to get list. I was lucky enough to find a German FN 1905/06 model as well as the elusive Eagle/N CZ36. so knocking them off a little at a time. but as you already pointed out only 1130 were made during the occupation so you got a nice one there! two actually, your other one is still in the correct range. so, now that you have a spare........LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts