Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Balder
The two stamps to the left are a crown/E (or G?) and a crown/B German Army acceptance stamps and the stamp on the right is a German eagle test proof. The reported 1911 DWM serial range is 4089b-166f. The L is almost certainally an "e" or "c". Photographs would help.
Jan

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
Balder
You do have an interesting marking. The Crown/B appears to have an overstamp of a smaller crown. This type of overstamp is routinely observed on the Crown/Z inspector's mark on the left side of the receiver on a 1908 First Issue military Luger. It has been postulated that this might be a secondary inspection mark placed there by a senior inspector verifying the work of a new inspector. Pure speculation though, not a shred of information to back it up. A closeup/higher magnification photo of your markings would help to deterimine if this is the same type of overstamp.

Tom,
Thanks for the photo enhancement, it gave me a clue what I was looking at.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gentlemen,

Thanks for all your input, highly appreciated - this is what makes collecting fun. I did a hi-res scan of the markings, please take a look.
I'll do some close-ups of the other markings and serial number later on today.

Regards,

Balder

Download Attachment: 1911markr.jpg
30.54KB

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
I did a little photo manipulation of the Crown/B (actually I think it may be a Crown/D) marking in your hi-res scan and placed it beside a Crown/Z marking on a First Issue. It doesn't take too much imagination to think they may be the same type overstamp.

Crown Compare.jpg

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ron,

Thanks for your effort! Does that make mine a first issue as well? George Anderson interpreted the regimental marking to Bavarian 8th Regiment, 5th Company. I assume that would be an infantry unit. Is there an online source for regimental markings or are they to be found in books? I do need a proper Luger book in addition to the rather thin Davis' "The Luger Handbook". I have Walter's "The Luger Story" on back order from Amazon, any other suggestions for a good Luger reference book?

Balder

Download Attachment: gripmark.jpg
14.24 KB

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
Yours is not a First Issue. The 1908 First Issue Lugers are undated and have the inspectors' marks and acceptance proof on the left side of the receiver. Jan Still's four volume set is the top of the line reference for Lugers. The most comprehensive look at Luger variations in a single book is Kenyon's "Lugers at Random" and even though the photos reflect the technology available in the late 1960s and are not top quality, it is an excellent choice for the beginning collector. Be careful with your Davis book, for although it is inexpensive and has a very handy chart for identifying Lugers, the information in the rest of the book contains many errors.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Again, thanks for the information. Where can I obtain Jan Still's books? I did a close-up of the serial number, I guess the suffix is an "e" as Jan suggested.

I now have three Lugers which to me represent as many interesting historic periods. One "out-of-the-range" American Eagle test Luger, this 1911 DWM and a byf 1942 "Black Widow". The last thing I need is to be infected by Lugeritis, but there may be an artillery model with all the bells & whistles headed my way...

Regards,

Balder

Download Attachment: ser1911lug.jpg
17.57 KB

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Balder
Your unit stamp is identified as follows.:
* 1911 DWM, s/n: B.8.R.5.13. - (Bayerisches, 8 Infanterie-Regiment, Kompagnie 5, Waffe Nr.13)
The Bavarian 8th Infantry Regiment was part of the 4th Bavarian Infantry Division, 33 Res Infantry Division, 14th Bavarian Infantry Infantry Division and the 16th Bavarian Infantry Division during World War I.

The Bavarian 8th Infantry Regiment battled on the Western Front during World War I. In 1916 it participated in the titanic struggle at Verdun.

For information on other 1911 dated Lugers see the links below:

* LUGERS OF THE DGN. REGTS. PART 3/5 Jan C Still (1911 DWM, Serial Number 8194d, Details, Accessories, and History; 5.D.1.12.)
------------- http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1048
* LUGERS OF THE DGN. REGTS. PART 4/5 Jan C Still (1911 DWM, Serial Number 8569d,
Details, Accessories, and History ; 6.D.2.22.)
------------ http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1047

3/5,1911 DWM, B.5.Ar.3.89., DETAILS AND HOLSTER Jan C Still http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3286

A highly recommended book on unit marked Lugers is “The Imperial German Regimental Marking” by Jeff Noll. It is advertised in the book section of this Forum.
The Imperial German Regimental Marking book Jeff Noll http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2827
Jan

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Ron
"I did a little photo manipulation of the Crown/B (actually I think it may be a Crown/D)"
Your enhansed photo indicates that my "B" is probably a "D".

The below list is very helpful in identifing gothic letters found in German acceptance stamps.

List of gothic letters Jan C Still http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3979

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.