Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,391 Posts
I don’t think there’s anyone that could definitely tell you what made those marks, so it’s probably a mystery. We have a saying that says “buy the gun not the story”. So anything you make up really doesn’t matter because they’re not supposed to be there. If they have blue and then it would certainly raise an eyebrow for me , because those look pretty deep. Someone probably put it in a vice at some point or did something silly
Edited spelling

· Registered
1,391 Posts
I don’t think there’s anyone that could definitely tell you what made those marks, so it’s probably a mystery. We have a saying that says “by the gun not the story”. So anything you make up really doesn’t matter because they’re not supposed to be there. If they have blue and then it would certainly raise an eyebrow for me , because those look pretty deep. Someone probably put it in a vice at some point or did something silly
Here’s a nice gun I bought recently. Unfortunately it has this handling mark on the grip strap. It’s nasty, with a nasty metal barb sticking off of it. Every time I pick the gun up with my cotton gloves he grabs onto them. But I won’t touch it, because it’s in the raw. And believe it or not if you touch it ,it kills the value worse than that Mark itself
Grille Automotive tire Bumper Grey Rim

· Administrator
17,036 Posts
Those markings are funny, looks like somebody tried to move the barrel? But who knows, I'd still buy one like that if overall I liked it.
I have an issue with pretty guns. And yes, I'll buy them and be happy to do so, however, if really pretty they were not carried much or used in army service (there is no other service worth talking about) ;) I was army.
Anyway, a gun with usage and not abuse is my go to for history.

edit
Jason, in my opinion, some 'blued' over areas are bot blued over, but blackish rust - natural rust. However, if that nazi gun bothers you, I am willing to safeguard it for you :)

· Registered
1,391 Posts
Those markings are funny, looks like somebody tried to move the barrel? But who knows, I'd still buy one like that if overall I liked it.
I have an issue with pretty guns. And yes, I'll buy them and be happy to do so, however, if really pretty they were not carried much or used in army service (there is no other service worth talking about) ;) I was army.
Anyway, a gun with usage and not abuse is my go to for history.

edit
Jason, in my opinion, some 'blued' over areas are bot blued over, but blackish rust - natural rust. However, if that nazi gun bothers you, I am willing to safeguard it for you :)
Brilliant advice Ed 👏
One of my favorite quotes of 2022 “ don’t buy an investment that requires explanation “
It’s incredible advice, but I immediately ignored it and bought questionable stuff 😆

· Administrator
17,036 Posts
Brilliant advice Ed 👏
One of my favorite quotes of 2022 “ don’t buy an investment that requires explanation “
It’s incredible advice, but I immediately ignored it and bought questionable stuff 😆
Geo used to roll his eyes at me :) As I seem to like odd or questionable things also

Although he brought me more than one shooter that was interesting and of course, a simson, a 1908, a police, yeah, I miss the Allentown show

· Registered
35 Posts
are you implying there's a chance the gun was re blued?
If you were looking at a used car and it had gouges in the side panel that were clearly painted over it's unlikely it came that way from the factory. Same thing applies to blueing on guns. No self respecting company is going to knowingly sell pre-damaged goods to the customer. There's exceptions to anything and there's certainly weird stuff that occasionally slips by but that's very rare compared to the amount of people just trying to pretty up a beat up gun.

· Registered
107 Posts
Other than the dippy doo that made those marks no one will know for sure what happened. But if I had to guess looks like a small pipe wrench or vise grip marks from dippy. Id buy it if its in or just above the shooter grade price, would not pay a premium though.

· Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Somebody clamped it for some reason. I cannot imagine any rational explanation for it being released from the factory that way.

I agree that the value might be a bit above shooter value.

Reactions: Jason S L

· Registered
2,373 Posts
How about full pics of the gun. Barrel markings & serial. Clear pics of the frame and receiver serials. Barrel witness mark etc.

· Registered
1,391 Posts
Thanks , as a collector of 1941 Mauser Lugers the first thing I look for is the serial # and letter block or suffix. I can kinda tell info about it without that, but that is really important info for me . No pictures or mention in the listing ( need that suffix ). I can tell you it’s in the first 7 or 8 months of 1941 😆. But seriously when a seller omits the critical info , it’s a sign . Overall the gun looks interesting. Obviously the holster and mag stand on their own . If you could pick it up for 1600.00 I think that’s ok 👍

1 - 20 of 21 Posts