Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a MARS 6.35mm pistol that has: "Automat. Pistole MARS" (German?) wording on the slide - like a DUO. I only have one reference that shows a MARS 6.35mm pistol, Whittington's "German Pistols and Holsters (Vol I)”. The slide on the pistol in the book has completely different wording (Czech?). I was hoping I could find someone with a book on Czech Pistols (or a more knowledgeable collector) who might be able to provide more information.

I'm guessing it was manufactured in 1937 from the "*37" marking. It has no commercial firm markings or German (E/N) proofs. I'd appreciate any information you could provide. The pistol has a weird plumb/red color but the seller assures me it hasn’t been refinished. I've attached a photo below. Thanks. Bob T.

Download Attachment: MARS1.JPG
67.62 KB

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh!...It's a Czech</u> pistol - well, that pretty much covers it I guess. Could you give me a hint on ZHUK #1601</u> - I have absolutely no idea what this means. Thanks, Orv

Also, would anyone know why mine has completely different slide wording than the one pictured in the "MARS E/N" posting on this thread? This is the only MARS I've seen with these slide markings - OK it's also the only MARS I've ever seen. Finally, does anyone know where I can find an original magazine for the little guy?

I really got some great information from the earlier "MARS E/N" post - especially the proofhouse numbering and pistol date - I didn't know this before. Thanks folks. Bob T.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,688 Posts
Bob,
Orv is talking about "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Handguns, pistols and revolvers of the world, 1870 to the present", by A.B. Zhuk. This is a well illustrated book originally written in Russian and translated to English.

Dave

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yes, it is a Czech pistol. Made by Posumavska Zbrojovka, Kohout & spol, Kdyne (Sumava mountain Armory, Kohout & comp. Kdyne) located in southwest Bohemia.
Kohout´s predecessor was Antonin Vilimec in Kdyne and the MARS 6,35 is a little bit simplified SLAVIA pistol with another marking.

The Kohout´s company was in bussiness 1932 -1947. The plum colored finish is undoubtedly original.

Download Attachment: 1.jpg
80.29KB

SN 389 from my collection, proofed 1938. Note the same plum color.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information. Does anyone know where I might be able to find an original magazine or spare grips for a MARS pistol?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.