Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
101 - 120 of 141 Posts

· Super Moderator
5,973 Posts
The WTP II first appears on Mauser inventory / calculation sheets between september, 1932 and september, 1933.

Fiscal years ran from september / september.

Many sources mention 1938 as the introduction date, but it seems the pistol was released for sale much earlier than that. The 1937 Waffenlexicon by Richard Marholdt mentions the existance of the W.T.P. II, since it was written in 1936 and published in 1937, it's hard to imagine the pistol appeared on the market in 1938 :)

· Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Vilm and Doug - Thank you both for sharing this information. I had theorized that the second model was introduced in 1934 based on the date of the brochure I had seen and am looking for. If either of you or anyone else who is reading this knows of a copy of it that is available I am very interested in acquiring a one. The brochure shows a nickel plated WTP II and I have one that I believe to be correct. 1938 is the date Pender referenced but he did state it was not confirmed. 1932 seems early and I wonder how long they would have been in inventory before they were available on the market? Regards,

· Premium Member
173 Posts
Question, I have recentlky come across a mauser 1910/34 serial 357729, blue looks to be 85% and up, gun is all matching, black bakelite grips, holster with no numbers, two magazines not marked. Gun is stamped with a Crown over something which is over a U, also the holster has a womens purse holster as well which I have never seen, it is form fitted to the gun. They are asking $450 and I was wondering if its a good deal? No experience with this gun at all, so I am at your mercy. Also I am not sure if a purse holster came with this gun? Let me know please as I would like to put a deposit as soon as possible.

Thanks again!

· Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Patsy57 - It is my policy not to advise others what to buy or not to buy. Without pictures I cannot even determine if they are asking a fair price or if I would be interested at buying it. Sorry but you will have to decide for yourself. Regards,

· Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
The serial number is for a 1910/34 Transitional model. If the grip is plastic it should have a straight back and the MW monogram. The purse holster could be period but it would have been a separate purchase. Mauser did not make it. Regards,

· Registered
311 Posts
Burgess,

1910 S/N 154825
WAFFENFABRIK
9 Slide Serrations
Right Side Markings: None
98.0% rust blue
Straight back Walnut Grips-Very Good condition
Lazy Crown U

This is now the second one in my collection with a serial number in the 100,000-199,000 range and I'm curious as to how many you have recorded in that range. They seem to be much harder to come by than those in the 20,000-90,000 range or the 200,000+ range and I would appreciate your thoughts in that regard.
Lyn

· Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Hi Lyn, - I have recorded 29 examples in the 100,000-199,000 range. This is where the proof marking transitions from the vertical to horizontal at around 107,000 and the slide serrations change from 9 narrow to 7 wide. There is no sideplate Banner on examples in this range. Is that the case with 154825? There also seem to be some gaps in the 114,900-152,000 and 156,000-200,000 ranges. I do not have an example in the 100,000-199,000 range. They appear to have been made during the Great War. Perhaps that explains why they are not often encountered. Regards,

· Registered
311 Posts
Burgess,
I suspect you are spot on. Pender also speculated a fragmented WW1 production with missed blocks of serial numbers and what you've noted & recorded certainly confirms it. 102849 has the banner and 154825 does not. I should have noted that. Interesting note about slide serrations: my 204209 & 209368 continue with the 9 serration theme with no banner and 223864 converts to the 7 serration theme with no banner and then the banner shows up again on 259500. I'm sure Mauser had some level of logic to these changes, but I doubt we'll ever discover it. Keep up the research and when are you going to publish your book?
Lyn

· Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Lyn,

When I started I had no idea of what I was getting into. I have an outline and a database large enough to draw some conclusions from. I have defiantly uncovered some things that Pender missed or made false assumptions about and I have developed some theories of my own. I now have concerns that putting information out to the community affects the market and until I have examples of all the variations I am looking for it is not in my best interest to tell what I have learned. The short answer is I don't know. It would help if I had a network of collectors and editors who would be willing to collaborate on the project. I am a single parent of a 10 and 12 year olds, so you can see where my priorities lay. Regards,

· Registered
311 Posts
Burgess,
I know that this thread is used primarily for 1910-1910/34 data collection, however if i remember correctly you are also tracking data for 1914 and 1934 Mauser pistols and I didn't know which sticky to use. The 3-day PHX Crossroads/SAR show was kind to my collecting efforts this weekend in the following regards:

1) 1914 Mauser 7.65mm Serial Number 53739
Single line WAFFENFABRIK MAUSERWERKE A.G. slide address
Right slide marking: None
Condition: 95+% rust bue with minimal front rail wear.
Grip material: Walnut with a high polish and in excellent condition.
Proof mark: Crown/U with gothic letter 'C' denoting military use.
Other markings: Large Mauser banner on left side.

2) 1914 Mauser 7.65mm Serial number: 29453
WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER A.G.
Right slide marking: None
Condition: 90+% rust blue with some wear on the front rails and muzzle.
Grip material: Walnut with a high polish but with a few scratches.
Proof mark: Crown U with gothic letter 'C' denoting military use.
Other markings: Large Mauser banner on left side. Unit marked 107.R.10.11 for the 107th Infantry Regiment, 10th Company, 11th weapon.
Finding a unit marked 1914 is a special treat because they are sooooo very rare. Both pistols came out of the collection of a long time collector in Kingman Arizona and have not been out of his safe for over 15 years. I got lucky and got a call from him when he decided to sell some of his collection.

Regards, Lyn

· Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Thank you lyn, - It sounds like you had a good day at the show and yes I am compiling data on both .25 and .32 pocket and vest pocket models. Yes, unit marked examples are scarse. Regards, - Burgess

· Registered
3,198 Posts
Just picked up a nice Mauser 1910 sidelatch, all matched, #15729. Original finish about 85%. Slide has the heavy line (block letter) address with 9 slide serrations. Wood grips, C/U, banner on sideplate, not "Germany" marked, correct nickel mag and no small markings under the serial number on back of frame.
Tim H.

· Registered
1 Posts
Sir,

if you are interested, I have one Mauser 1910/34, 6,35mm in very good condition (my grandfather's).

Serial number 426XXX, in milled slot.
Curved wooden grip.
Proof mark: U/Crown

May I assume it was produced in early 1939, before the new law on proofmarcs became effective?

Respectfully,

Arturo

(Edit: after consultation I was advised not to publish the full number of the weapon openly. I will sent you the full number by private message for your database)

· Registered
692 Posts
Burgess, observed 1910/34 No. 427409, serial number in milled slot, curved wood grip, crown/U proofed. Almost mint condition, a real stunner.

Do you already have this one in the database? Would this be the current highest serial numbered gun with a crown/U proof or do you know of a higher?

101 - 120 of 141 Posts