Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Mauser 1910/34 research

54K views 146 replies 33 participants last post by  Andrewnvest 
#1 ·
Mauser 1910/34 research
I am building a data a database of .25 cal Mauser pistols on the 1910 patent that have a “MAUSER-WERKE A.G.OBERNDORF A.N.” slide address. I am attempting to determine when certain changes occurred in the finish and grip styles along with any blocks of serial number ranges that may have been exported to a specific country for commercial sales or contracted for a specific use.
Currently I have 50+ pistols recorded but I do not have complete information on all of them. So far the data I have, for the most part, supports John LaCroix’s published data as follows:
Note: year dates are from La Croix’s research.

1928-1939
The “MAUSER-WERKE A.G.OBERNDORF A.N.” slide address. 345000-429000 (LaCroix’s data)
Lowest SN in database 359944

Finish changed from rust/cold blue to salt/hot blue. 370000 (LaCroix’s data)
Highest SN with rust/cold blue in database 364405
Lowest SN with salt/hot blue in database 380770

1935-1937
Nitrate or fire blue on small parts discontinued. Not mentioned in LaCroix’s data
Highest SN with nitrate or fire blue on small parts in database 400744
Lowest SN without nitrate or fire blue on small parts in database 403026
Note: There are 2 pistols with SN above 403026 in database described as having nitrate or fire blue on the end of the barrel retaining rod.

Change from straight to curved grip. 403300 (LaCroix’s data)
Highest SN with straight grip in database 400744
Lowest SN with curved grip in database 403361
Note: There are 2 pistols in the database that are exceptions. One is in Pender’s book described as a rework that has a curved grip but is below LaCroix’s SN cut off. The other has a straight grip but is in LaCroix’s range for the curved. Without more data to compare I am theorizing that the grips are replacements.

Serial number on slide in milled slot. 423000 (LaCroix’s data)
Highest SN without SN in slot in database 421124
Lowest SN with SN in slot in database 424422
Note: SN 421124 is from Pender. SN 423147 and 423212 are in database but no information was reported concerning milled slot.

Change from crown/U to Eagle/N proof. 426300-429000 (LaCroix’s data)
Highest SN with C/U proof in database 427184
Lowest SN with E/N proof in database 428166 (only example has nickel finish)

Noted markings
“Made in Germany” export marked
Austrian commercial proofs
Austrian police markings
Czechoslovakian commercial proofs
British proofs
Rotterdam police marked

If any one is willing to provide data on an example of this pistol that is in there possession please provide the following information:

Serial number? Is the slide serial in milled slot?
Finish (cold blue, hot dip or nickel)?
Are small parts nitrate blue?
Grip type (straight or curved) (wood, plastic w/monogram, plastic w/banner)?
Proof mark and any other markings?

See less See more
#3 ·
Ron,
Could you please verify the slide address on your pistol? I am collecting data on pistols that are stamped “MAUSER-WERKE A.G.OBERNDORF A.N.” serial number range 345000-429000. The serial number you listed should be stamped “WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER A.-G. OBERNDORF A. N.”. Thank you for your information.

Regards

#5 ·
1914 Mauser, I think you are refering to my 404,000 range gun with (straight grips)as "out of Penders range".The grips are original. Over the years I`ve seen several guns above 403,000 with straight grips. The highest was in the 411,000 range.I believe those guns were original in every way.Let`s see what the survey turns up.

#6 ·
Doug,
Again thanks for the input. You may be correct. Mauser did make clean-up runs that made use older parts from time to time. Hopfuly I will be getting some more data that will prove this theory.

#10 ·
Doug,
Yes, I found one but I still am looking for one in a little better shape. The one I found I traded a very nice curved wood grip 1910/34 98%+ finish. The one I got is the hot/salt blue finish that has thin spots I would rate it at 85-90% finish. I am still looking for one with cold/salt blue finish. I know where there is a very nice example but the dealer/owner wants $800+ and that is a bit high in my opinion. I have a curved plastic grip 1910/34, w/Czech proofs that I would consider trading but it has some pitting over the slide SN and some chips on the grip, some repaired. I still rate it at 80%+. Mr.La Croix’s research would indicate there are about half as many curved grips as staight grip produced based on his serial number data. I don't think most people would know the difference between a 1910/14 and a 1910/34 at least that has been my observation.

#11 ·
B. I agree with that. They don`t know a sidelatch from a 10/34. What is cold/salt finish? What`s the seriel range? I`m always looking for nice 10/34s.I think 800 is ridiculous!Keep up the good work. Orv Reichert used to say it was hard to get numbers too (and he didn`t have the internet!)Now he has 35,000 P-38 numbers.Hopefully you`ll live along time! Take care, Doug

#14 ·
Serial number? SN 248627 Is the slide serial in milled slot? No.
Finish (cold blue, hot dip or nickel)? Blued, "hot dip"
Are small parts nitrate blue? Yes.
Grip type (straight or curved) Straight grip (wood, plastic w/monogram, plastic w/banner)? Wood.
Proof mark and any other markings? Crown "U" proofs, fat banner, RH side of frame marked "GERMANY"

#15 ·
Mr. Graham,
I will add your pistol to my database but the example you are describing is what I refer to as a 1910/14 and is not in the the focus of this research. I am collecting data on 1910/34 pistols with the slide address “MAUSER-WERKE A.G.OBERNDORF A.N.” serial number range 345000-429000. The serial number you listed should be addressed “WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER A.-G. OBERNDORF A. N.”. Thank you for your information.

#19 ·
Members,
I would like to expand my request for data on Mauser pocket models in .25 cal. to include all examples. All information is for research purposes and will be considered confidential. If anyone is willing to provide data on an example in their possession please reply with the following:

Complete serial number
WAFFENFABRIK or MAUSER-WERKE slide address?
9 or 7 slide serrations?
Right slide marking? (none, GERMANY, VON LENGERKER & DETMOLD, Mauser-6.35, Cal.-6.35 or Cal.-6.35 D.R.P.u.A.P.)
Condition? (Excellent, very good, good, fair, poor, parts only)
Grip material? (wood or plastic)
Grip shape? (Curved or straight)
Proof mark? (Crown/U or Eagle/N)
Other markings? Please describe.

You contribution to my research is greatly appreciated and will be acknowledged, if you grant permission to do so, when the results of the study are published. Thank you!

Download Attachment: 1910frameWL.jpg
159.2KB

#20 ·
Here are the 5 1910's I have.

1- #5502 sidelatch
2- Waffenfabrik
3- 9
4- None
5- VG
6- Wood
7- Straight
8- C/U

1- #242255
2- Waffenfabrik
3- 7
4- Mauser-6,35
5- Ex
6- Wood
7- Straight
8- C/U
9- Portuguese Police

1- #384956
2- Mauser-Werke
3- 7
4- Cal.6,35
5- Ex
6- Plastic
7- Curved
8- C/U

1- #399601
2- Mauser-Werke
3- 7
4- Cal.6,35-D.R.P.u.A.P.
5- Ex
6- Plastic
7- Straight
8- C/U

1- #425177
2- Mauser-Werke
3- 7
4- Cal.6,35-D.R.P.u.A.P.
5- Ex
6- Plastic
7- Curved
8- C/U

#22 ·
Complete serial number 248627
WAFFENFABRIK or MAUSER-WERKE slide address? WAFFENFABRIK
9 or 7 slide serrations? 7
Right slide marking? (none, GERMANY, VON LENGERKER & DETMOLD, Mauser-6.35, Cal.-6.35 or Cal.-6.35 D.R.P.u.A.P.) Mauser-6.35
Condition? (Excellent, very good, good, fair, parts only) fair
Grip material? (wood or plastic) wood
Grip shape? (Curved or straight) straight
Proof mark? (Crown/U or Eagle/N) Crown/U
Other markings? Please describe. Marked "Germany" on right hand side of frame above the grip.