Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Impressed by the two topics below ( Don , Ed ) I present you here a Mauser 1914 Reichswehr rig with a pistol in a mint shape.
Please note the wonderfull postwar workmanship.
The holster is unmarked.

My friend Martin ( sauerfan ) can tell you an amazing story about this rig, because I bought it years ago from his father. He told me that this rig took a very special way to him.

Fritz

Download Attachment: 24.10. 017.jpg
179.77KB

Download Attachment: 24.10. 024.jpg
103.05KB
Download Attachment: 24.10. 028.jpg
216.62KB

Download Attachment: 24.10. 033.jpg
68.44KB

Download Attachment: 24.10. 036.jpg
254.56KB

Download Attachment: 24.10. 042.jpg
270.25KB

Download Attachment: 24.10. 045.jpg
248.15KB

· Registered
841 Posts
Fritz,

Gorgeous pistol and leather! The fire or razor blue on the trigger shows up very nice and so much remains on that trigger surface--very nice. Great photos. Is this pistol an original Imperial German Army issue M1914 (before adoption by the Reichswehr) with the C/U proof and the with the Imperial German Military acceptance stamp in front of the rear sight? The one line slide legend looks like an Imperial Army Issue (WWI) style but the serial would seem to put it in the post war commercial category? What kind of camera and setup do you use? Thanks for posting pictures of this beautiful Mauser M1914 rig.

· Administrator
16,738 Posts
Very nice Fritz! I collect stories of guns used in the military, is the story worth telling, if so, e-mail of tell me here and say its okay to use the story! :)

ed

· Registered
492 Posts
Fritz, a beautiful piece.

I have found the irregularity of the "1920" Reichswehr marking to be very interesting. Found this info in my notes when I was researching my Reichswehr Red 9. Didn't notate the source, so I don't know if it is my own info, or if I am quoting someone else.

Reichswehr property stamp:
German law of August 1920 required all Germans to hand into the government all military arms, which included arms stolen after WW1 had ended. The mark chosen to identify Reichswehr weapons was the “1920". If the weapon were found in the wrong hands, then it could be identified as stolen and the person in possession of the weapon could be prosecuted. The mark was used into the 1930's. The marking can often be crude and unprofessional because, typically, the pistols were taken to the local police station to be marked. Some appear to be neatly marked from a stamping die containing all 4 digit together, and some can be crudely misaligned, with each digits having been stamped individually.

Here's the mark on my C96:
Download Attachment: Mauser-C96-Red-9-1920-4.jpg
28.64KB

· Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lloyd,

to your questions : It's a commercial C/U model.
The digital camera is a Minolta 7i ( A1 / A2 ) .
I put the pistols on a sceen of glas and take the pics by daylight, but not in the sunshine.
Then I rework them with Adoby-Photoshop 7. From time to time it's a wicked job ,but the results are very satisfying.

Fritz

· Premium Member
4,387 Posts
According to military documents obtained from Gortz ( some presented in German Small Arms Markings) the 1920 Reichswehr stamp was applied by orders dated 28 Sept. 1920 (earlier documents only discuss the markings). Instructions dated 9 April 1921 declare the previous instructions "outdated" and state that "The lase sentence of the directive of 12th January 1921, Nr.5/1.21.In.2, is hereby rescinded". (See Weimar Lugers page 20-23)

The use of the 1920 stamp as a Reichswehr property mark was outdated in 9 April 1921 and the new instructions for marking weapons were published the 3rd of June 1922. However, scattered use of the 1920 stamp continued until at least 1935. Photographs of a 29 DWM and a G date with the 1920 stamp are shown on page 22 of Weimar Lugers.
Jan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.