Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
I posted pictures of this Mauser 1914 back before Jan,s site got hacked and thought this would be a good to repost it. It is 1920 Rechswehr property stamped on the left slide above the Mauser slide legend and police marked L.O.80. on the front grip strap.
Landjageri (Rual Constabulary) Osnbruck Weapon No. 80
At least I think I remember the translation corectly.
Thanks again

Download Attachment: 1.jpg
60.21 KB

Download Attachment: 2.jpg
57.77 KB

Download Attachment: 3.jpg
19.63 KB

·
Registered
254 Posts
Landjäger is a rural policeman, according my dictionary, but that could be an off translation. So perhaps Landjägerei for rural constabulary.
'O' could certainly be Osnabrück. But Osnabrück is not rural, but rather a town in N. Germany which had, in 1925, a population of 89,000.
Still, it could have been considered rural by people in big cities like Berlin.
That's a very nice pistol.
JT

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Ed
Good to see your re-post of the Prussian State Police Landjagerei Osnabruck marked 1914 Mauser. These are interesting pistols.
Jan

JT
The Prussian State Police unit marks are defined in official orders that have been published in a number of books. Lists of the defined markings are in "Volume I" (1982) page 112, "Axis Pistols'(1986) page 199,"Weimar Lugers" (1993) page 195-197, and "German Small Arms Markings" (1997) page 91-93 and 103-104. You don’t have to guess.
Jan

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
quote:Originally posted by Jan C Still

Ed
Good to see your re-post of the Prussian State Police Landjagerei Osnabruck marked 1914 Mauser. These are interesting pistols.
Jan

JT
The Prussian State Police unit marks are defined in official orders that have been published in a number of books. Lists of the defined markings are in "Volume I" (1982) page 112, "Axis Pistols'(1986) page 199,"Weimar Lugers" (1993) page 195-197, and "German Small Arms Markings" (1997) page 91-93 and 103-104. You don’t have to guess.
Jan
Jan & jacobtowne
Sorry for the delay on the thanks for your replys. I have been burning the candle at both ends so to speak, for the past week, with work and trying to complete my wife's Honey Do list (painting) before the holidays arrive. The finish on this Mauser 1914 looks better than the photos depict. I have been trying out a different camera and have not got the hang of it yet.
Thanks again

·
Registered
248 Posts
I saw a very similar 1914 Mauser at a show this weekend.
It was also 1920 marked on the slide, in the 260 thousand
serial number range. The frontstrap is marked L Sch. #.
I was very tempted to buy it, but settled on another gun.
The pistol included a named holster and capture papers.
Sorry I have no photos. Maybe the new owner will post it?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Found another of these the other weekend. It had
1920 marked slide, this time in the 259 thousand
serial number range. Frontstrap property stamped
with L. S. # , with a very good finish condition.
They seem to fall into a definite contract block.

If I keep seeing these, I'll have to break down
and actually purchase one of them :)

Rich

·
Copper Bullet Member
3,500 Posts
Rich,

If you have them, I would appreciate knowing the unit mark weapon numbers and as much of the serial number as you're willing to reveal for these M1914s. I'm preparing an article on the Landjaegerei unit marks and these would be very helpful data points. Thanks very much.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Don-

I'm sorry to say that I didn't record the full information for either of those two guns. I just spent a few minutes contemplating their purchase at the last two shows I attended. The first one has since been sold, at any rate. I wish I had been of more assistance, and will keep a closer eye out in the future.

Rich

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.