Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear Experts,
I got offered a Mauser C96 or better I believe it`s a Mauser.
Here is no Manufacturer Stamp like a Mauser Banner, no real Serial number,no proof mark.
The pistol has no blueing.
On the most parts is a tiny 8 stamped.
Chambered for the 7,63mm Mauser, Barrel like new.
Grips are from a 1930 Model.
Thanks Stefan

Attachments

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Thats one I have never seen before!

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
If we apply auction house formula,,,, let's see, low s/n 8 + no blue + weird receiver,,,, then, it could be a tool room something.. usually not explicitly saying, but description would strongly implies it's a Mauser factory tool room experimental piece... no? what else it could be?

The truth is, no one knows for sure what it is.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
What is the story on this one? It is an early Conehammer? The breach is unlike anything I have seen before.
Where did it come from and where is it?

Regards,

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This pistol comes from the french speaking part of Switzerland,near the french border.
And was in a small collection the last 50 years.
That`s all what I know about.
I have never seen a similar Mauser C96 before.

Thanks
Stefan

·
Registered
118 Posts
Stefan, I'm with Giuliano on this one. Aside from the unusual receiver, the line between the barrel & receiver are very interesting. Is the line a joint or turning? The surface on the gun is consistent, with the exception of small pits on the magazine follower, so I dont think its been played with. If you are dealing with a reputable individual, I'd go for it.
Good Luck,
John

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
If I'm not misaken, some pieces from the former Mauser Waffenfabrik Museum - looted at the end of WWII - has surfaced in France in the past years.
This could be another discovery.
I would grab if I had the opportunity.
Douglas

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hallo Stefan...I agree with the fellows above...It does look like a piece that has never been finished; ready for sale. There are no proofs in the usual places; more evidence that it was not meant to leave the factory. Bitte, rufen Sie mich an wenn diese Stuck zu verkaufen ist.

Beste Grusse,

Rick Engel

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
It's definitely not early. A few evidence: reinforced receiver, numbered hammer, and 50-500 sight. Those are late conehammer features. No picture showing the front of the extractor -- I bet dragging the bolt out, the front of the extract is flat. But those are not key functional features. Let's put those aside, just looking at its functional feature.

Really weird is the ammo loading window, it's really hard to load ammo into the gun with this high-edge flat opening . The operator had to insert his finger deep into the narrow receiver opening to push cartridges down so they could be locked into the magazine. Imagine that. And, a Luger like barrel-receiver joint? Mauser had some weird things, but they were not supposed to copy the design of other products, at least in its early days... they were too proud to do that... and what's the advantage of doing that... Just some thought./

However, whoever did something, for unknown purpose, could be interesting for sure. But, if saying it's a factory experimental gun, that's a little bit aggressive.

·
Registered
403 Posts
There are enough Cone Hammer C96s out there with later barrels, taking the "slip-in" rear sight, that Joe Schroeder called them a "legitimate variation"...Why did they have later barrels? Did the first ones fail?..Or, were those pieces merely assembled later? IF they were merely assembled later then they are that legitimate variation. IF the first barrels failed however, then perhaps what we're observing is one of the factorys' answers to the failure.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
probably a legit proto around 2x,xxx range with replacement grips.
The exterior shape of the grip panels look like 1930. It would be interesting to see how the panels interior were routed. Regular 1930 grip panels would not fit this gun without modification. No photo shows that.

====

I am trying to think about the logic behind the 2x,xxx guesstimation... why? Late conehammer assembled from parts by someone? Could even be as late as in 1930s... but if that's right, then it cannot be a "looted piece".

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
There are enough Cone Hammer C96s out there with later barrels, taking the "slip-in" rear sight, that Joe Schroeder called them a "legitimate variation"...Why did they have later barrels? Did the first ones fail?..Or, were those pieces merely assembled later? IF they were merely assembled later then they are that legitimate variation. IF the first barrels failed however, then perhaps what we're observing is one of the factorys' answers to the failure.
You expanded his theory on "slip-in" sight leaf. That theory came with a context. Although irrelevant to this gun, the "slip-in" sight leaf on conehammer comes with a "bolo barrel" context. Within that context, there are quite a few independent samples in the world, so the theory says "some late conehammer could come with bolo barrel with slip-in sight leaf". I would think that's right. Without that bolo barrel context, conehammer with slip-in sight leaf? I have never seen a trustworthy sample. But that's not this gun's situation. The sight leaf is pinned 50-500, with flat sight ramp, just like a regular late conehammer. The weird section is the barrel and barrel extension.

·
Registered
98 Posts
if you look at the photo of the rear or back strap of the gun, you may notice the top of the grip panels dont seem to fit right or tight up along the top inner curves where the grip panels meet the metal. Doesnt appear to me that these were the original grip panels designed for this gun.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.