Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This pistol, numbered V10, was used by the Mauser R&D departement to test barrel/caliber combinations with a modified opening timing by milling back the swiss style frame ears.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory
Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Reactions: gunnertwo

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
3,692 Posts
Very interesting, Vlim.
I assume this was to keep the breach block (bolt) closed longer, to get more powder burn.
Pat

·
Registered
511 Posts
by milling back the swiss style frame ears.
Adolf Furrer, chief designer and director of Waffenfabrik Bern, initiated the adjustment of the frame ears to optimize the breech during the further development of the Pistole 1900/06 into the Pistole 06/29.

In a letter to the Kriegstechnische Abteilung (War Technical Department) dated July 10 1933, Furrer wrote: "Die Änderung der Anschlagkurve war eine Notwendigkeit, da die frühere Kurve unrichtig war, was durch eingehende Schiessversuche unter Aufnahme von Diagrammen einwandfrei festgestellt wurde." In English: "The modification of the curve (frame ears) was a necessity, since the earlier curve was not correct, which was perfectly established by thorough firing tests with the addition of diagrams."

May be Furrer was wrong - I don't know...

·
Super Moderator
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He was. Furrer's play with the Swiss opening curve on the 06/29 then required the modification of the chamber area in order to reduce the weight of the barrel-receiver combo.

I am confident it was a completely unnneccesary fix to a non-existing problem.

It also wasn't a compliment to Mauser's post war development team, because they failed to spot the difference and the impact.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I am confident it was a completely unnneccesary fix to a non-existing problem.
Possible - but I'm not so sure. Furrer had a lot of experience with the Parabellum toggles (constructions up to AAA caliber 34mm).

It's also possible that it was an optimization that practically didn't matter - the Swiss had time and pleasure for perfectionism at that time...

And the Pistole 06/29 is a superbly functioning pistol.

·
Super Moderator
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think they were so busy tuning their pistols to their own 7,65 para round that they got carried away :giggle:

Reactions: Edward T
1 - 6 of 6 Posts