Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this post is out of place for being about a Mauser, but the community here seems to be the highest concentration of relevant expertise I've seen. Based on what I've seen, I suspect this weapon bears an Imperial German unit marking.

Acquired a Mauser Broomhandle (Standard Wartime Commercial) with what appear to be unit markings on the magazine floorpiece. The weapon is not proofed with military acceptance and bears serial number 340149, as well as subsequent (seemingly post-1954) British civilian import proofs.

Apparently unit marking pictured here: 10.R.M.G.

Would love to know if this is indeed a German Great War unit marking and what it refers to. Thank you all for the help.

·
2,468 Posts
I would imagine this is the 10th Machinegun Regiment, but I have never seen regimental markings on the bottom of the magazine well. George Anderson, a long-time member, can certainly define its meaning. It could possibly be a postwar Reichwehr military marking. He'll know. JIM

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,500 Posts
Jim is close. I see it as 10th Infantry Regiment, Machine gun company, staff. Pre 1914? their was only 1 MGK per Regiment. The lack of a weapon# is what leads me to be a staff used weapon. Without military proofing, and the fact brooms were on the way out by this time, I think it may have been a private purchase that somehow got the unit mark. George or Jeff will most likely correct me if wrong, but they are probably gearing up for the Show Of Shows. Give them some time to respond. John

·
Registered
471 Posts
JD, I would think of this as an incomplete marking I.E. with no weapon number. The serial number would indicate that this is a Wartime Commercial model. It would surprise me if it wasn't military proofed on the flat on the right side of the receiver. Don't forget the German Army also let a contract to Mauser in 1916 for the 9mm (Red 9) C96 pistols which Mauser continued to deliver until the end of the war. I believe C96s were used throughout the war. There was no 10th Infantry Regiment. The 10th was a Grenadier Regiment like a infantry regiment but with their traditional name designation. No SOS for me this summer. I plan on being there next February.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,500 Posts
Thanks for setting it straight for me Jeff. I have become a little rusty the last few years....Will miss your company this year! I will kick one back for you. John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts