Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is got to be the most unusual Luger I've ever seen. An acquaintance of my father's just gave me this Luger to sell for him. He's a retired Police chief.
It is marked DWM on top, with a large eagle on the receiver ring, and has the strangest mechanism. It has a "safety"(?) block on the rear strap, and the cocking knobs are totally different from any Luger I've ever seen. The top of the barrel reads" POLICIA DE GUADALAJARA 71-73".
How do I figure value and caliber? finish is about 70%, bore is Ok. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Louis : All that I can say is, Pictures, Pictures, Pictures ! Need to have views of every facet of your gun along with the serial number.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Serial is 19034. I thought it was an American eagle, but the on the toggle knobs are concave, not flat. I have it listed on GB under same seller name. ( I can't post pics here because I don't have tehm as a jpeg).

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
1900 and 1902 American Eagles have concave or "dished" toggle knobs. The Mexican Eagle looks nothing like the American Eagle crest on your luger. Your Luger is a 1900 American Eagle model. How it ended up with Mexican markings might be quite a story if it could be traced. The caliber is 7.65mm and early Lugers, models 1900, 1902 and 1906 had a grip safety. The grip safety was eliminated with the 1908 model. Your Luger has been refinished. The exact Mexican connection is difficult to determine. It may have been purchased by the Gudalajaran municipal police force, or it may have been a presentation gift to a member of the force who served from 1971 to 1973.

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,230 Posts
Based on coinage, the Mexican national bird is either a vulture or a condor. Probably the former. Only a moron or a blind man could confuse the two emblems.

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,726 Posts
This thread has become somewhat interesting. My friend and renown 45 cal Luger reproducer, Mike Krause, has in his shop at this moment an identical 1900 (20xxx) with the same markings, including the 70-73 on top of the barrel. It is not reblued and is in bad shape. This would probably preclude this being a presentation piece as at least two exist and no one's name is on the gun. Mike and I postulated that some (no one knows how many) American Eagles found their way south to the Guadalajara Constubulary and were stamped for use. We theorize that it must have happened early on as the police would no doubt prefer more modern handguns if it were between 1970-73. It will remain a mystery until someone with knowledge of the history of the Guadalajara Police comes forth with facts to enlighten us.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
11,107 Posts
drbuster, How is Mike coming with his production of .45 Lugers? They are truly masterpieces and some of the most magnificent pistols ever made since GL made his. Is he still making baby Lugers as well in .380 or did he ever? I seem to remember a magazine article about such a pistol. I hope to win the lottery some day and be able to buy one of Mikes .45 Lugers. Thanks, Jerry Burney

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,726 Posts
Dear Jerry, Yes, Mike is still making both the babies and full sized 45 reproductions. He is generally very busy with his general shop work. I don't think he has made a baby luger recently, but will, if the money is offered. I don't know the current charge, as it is way out of my league. I examined a cased baby luger of his at the last Reno show--what a beauty! I think he wanted $25000! If you win the lottery, please contact him!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.