Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Mark,
* Thanks for sharing a not to often seen, limited production, MOD P.38 in very nice condition. Excellent pics too!
* Any idea how Walther was able to Mfg. "Commercial" pistols at this late a point in the War when every pistol was needed for replacement?
* What are your thoughts? When Walther met Army quota..were they allowed to fill non-Army requisitions or did these pistols have some minor deviation (though fully functional) not meeting WaA/Army specifications and were allowed to be diverted to Walther's "Commercial" uses?
* Why not just call them "HP's"? Think Warren B's Vol.I tells the tale??
Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bob,

WOW! Some great questions. Walther produced commercial guns for non military citizens, for example plant guards. I believe most everyone in Germany during the war were involved in the citizenship of a Nation at war. Walther did not export these guns as "commercial" since no one on the other side would buy one.

(However, some Axis powers may have wanted these guns for commercial use, my opion)

I have no clue as to why some of the early HP pistols (1940) were also marked Mod P38. Perhaps for marketing? Buxton only lists the guns with great information about serial number ranges.

The odd thing is the late war Mod P38's were produced after the military marked commercial military marked AC45's!

Perhaps another expert can elaboate on the issue.

Mark

·
Registered
569 Posts
The AC45 Zero series follow the late Mod P38's.. a sample of the serial numbers at the changeover follows: [small overlap]

Orv

MOD P38 25792
MOD P38 25792
MOD P38 25792
MOD P38 25792
MOD P38 25804
MOD P38 25809
MOD P38 25811
MOD P38 25811
MOD P38 25812
AC45 025834
AC45 025840
AC45 025858
AC45 025911
AC45 025960
MOD P38 25994

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Orv,

Thanks for the correction, I should check my information first before I post! Perhaps a bit of dyslexia on my part. I do own the AC 45 serial number 025834, one of the lowest serial numbers known with the WaA, e/s proofed guns. It is interesting to note the "commercial" military marked AC 45's have a 0 in front of the serial number. Also, the two variations must have been on the line at the same time since a Mod P38 was produced in the same run.

I'll post some pics of the AC 45 when I get a chance.

Mark

·
Registered
542 Posts
Mark,
* This late in the war, Walther must have known the Americans were only days away.
* IMHO: I think Walther returned back to "Commercial" production to:
(a) Keep the workers occupied.
(b) Use up the warehoused commercial slides (MOD 38) from earlier days.
(c) Promote an aura of once again being an firm independent of its Army contract...a distancing if you will.
(d) Attempt to generate some income since the Gov't was obviously not going to be a long term solvant customer much longer.
(e) Provide "civilians" a means of defense.
* When the WaA inspectors left a month or so before the end of the war, I think remaining ac45 slides were used. The transporatation of in bound forgings must have dried up. Since these were not an Army order any longer, I think Walther returned back to the concept of a "zero" series and marked these late ac45 zero's accordingly. In this manner, Walther could not be criticized for selling Military configuration equipment as they were marked like a "test" series. And too, they were fully functional as "commercial" sales items.
* Just a SWAG...less the Scientific.
* What do you think?
Bob

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bob,

Interesting theory however, one thing is for sure, the 0 series were military weapons and so marked. Here is my example of an AC 45 0 series, for some reason the serial number has been placed on the slide with an electric pencil. This must have been done post war, the gun has no import markings and a phosphate take down lever.

Mark

Download Attachment: AC450series.jpg
263.24 KB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.