Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Montenegrin revolvers with Crown/NI

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  chole 
#1 ·
Hello,
It's common knowledge that the main handgun of the Montenegrin army during WWI and earlier was the Austrian made 11mm Gasser (a version of the Austro-Hungarian M1870). These huge revolvers are marked with a crowned NI at the top of the barrel breech, for Nikola I, the ruler of Montenegro (Prince 1860-1910, King 1910-1918). Some other revolvers used in the Montenegrin army were Rast-Gasser M98, Smith & Wesson Russian, Smith & Wesson Military & Police; a few officers carried early automatics such as Mannlicher M1905. Now, the question is: were any of these other handguns marked with the Montenegro's Crown/NI? Only one such case was reported to me, by a reputable Austrian collector, namely an engraved Rast-Gasser M98 revolver marked Crown/NI. It would certainly be interesting to hear of any other handgun with this Montenegro marking.
By the way, I'm researching Austrian Gasser revolvers in general and Montenegrin Gasser revolvers in particular, and would greatly appreciate any pertinent information, such as description of revolvers with markings and serial numbers, period photos, literature, etc.
Thank you and with kind regards,
Jani

#6 ·
Hi Jani my name is Ivan I currently live in Queensland Australia migrated in 1966. In 1977 on my return to former Yugoslavia in Serbia casein of my gave me two Gasser M1870 revolvers which he said they originally were the personal guns of King Nikola 1 of Montenegro. they were the gift to our gray grey grandfather who was his right hand to King and the army leader in battles. His name was Branislav Bakic (vojskovodja). I have the serial numbers of this guns and would like to know if they are real guns of the King Nikola and they value since I want to sell them. My e mail is zivivan54@gmail.com, I can also provide pictures of the guns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.