Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a few pics of this Luger before I actually Recieved it.
Now that I have it and cleaned it up a little, I would appriciate any feedback you guy's have about it's history.
I assume it was a German Army Pistol used in WWI. Is there anyway to tell if it was also issued in WWII?
I understand the Magazine is from WWII and I was originally considering trading it for a Wood Bottom Mag, however I think that this Mag is a genuine part of it's history (not making it more valuable, just interesting to me) and think I will keep it and try to find a WWI Mag to add to it. Is there someplace that sales Luger Mags?
The Holster I have been told is a WWII era P-38 issue and is marked "bdt.43" and has a German Eagle stamp over "WaA927".
Thanks for your comments!
Rob

Download Attachment: Holster01.jpg
138.88KB

Download Attachment: Holster02.jpg
127.62KB

Download Attachment: Holster03.jpg
202.5KB

Download Attachment: LugerLeft2.jpg
159.46KB

Download Attachment: LugerLeft.jpg
138.34KB

Download Attachment: LugerMag.jpg
46.62KB

Download Attachment: LugerRight2.jpg
149.63KB

Download Attachment: LugerRight.jpg
31.6KB

Download Attachment: LugerTop.jpg
35.78KB

· Registered
2,580 Posts
rob319

Yes your pistol would have been used in WW#1 as it is an imperial army luger.

Given the pictures available it would be pure speculation that this luger was used in WW#2 unless you have credible information from the vet that brought this pistol back from the war.

The USA capture papers and surrounding documents with serial number is bonafide proof of WW#2 use anything short of that is speculation as the late war FXO magazine is not proof alone.

Given that the holster is not a early imperial holster but a holster from latter production would fall under the same senario.

Can you ask the seller for more info about the lugers history.

The magazine that you currently have would be a much better magazine for shooting as it is considered higher quality than the early imperials as far as resiliency is concerned.

You could post an add here or check gun shows and the ebay avenue for the proper period magazine.

Others will add to this and hopefully you will get a feeling for your lugers history.

Reread your first post about the hitler youth story and agree with the others, unless the fellow hid this firearm from customs and immigration it would be highly unlikely to have been allowed into any allied country after the war given his service history.

· Registered
2,580 Posts
rob319

Yes your pistol would have been used in WW#1 as it is an imperial army luger.

Given the pictures available it would be pure speculation that this luger was used in WW#2 unless you have credible information from the vet that brought this pistol back from the war.

The USA capture papers and surrounding documents with serial number is bonafide proof of WW#2 use anything short of that is speculation as the late war FXO magazine is not proof alone.

Given that the holster is not a early imperial holster but a holster from latter production would fall under the same senario.

Can you ask the seller for more info about the lugers history.

The magazine that you currently have would be a much better magazine for shooting as it is considered higher quality than the early imperials as far as resiliency is concerned.

You could post an add here or check gun shows and the ebay avenue for the proper period magazine.

Others will add to this and hopefully you will get a feeling for your lugers history.

Reread your first post about the hitler youth story and agree with the others, unless the fellow hid this firearm from customs and immigration it would be highly unlikely to have been allowed into any allied country after the war given his service history.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your comments Lou!
I agree that this Lugers history is pure speculation, but it does make for a nice story:)
I will hang onto the WWII mag for occasional shooting and start looking around for a wood bottom to go in the holster pouch.
The right grip is slightly loose and shifts about 1/32" when you actuate the toggle. Any little tricks to tighten up a little without modifying the grip?
With all the machine work from solid stock, I hate to think what a Luger built the same way today would cost...
Thanks again,
Rob

· Registered
5,220 Posts
Rob, You can tighten the grip with a Hot Glue Gun. Run a 'tiny' bead of glue along the edge grip frame. Let it cool for a couple of seconds and install the grip. It won't show and can be removed without damaging the grip,if need be. It works great if done properly. I repeat, a tiny bead.

Ron

· Registered
550 Posts
Rob,
* The holster is not for a P.38.
* Rather, it is for a 640(b) Browning Hi-Power (aka M-35) of approximately the same vintage (1943).
* "bdt" is the German WWII Mfg. Code for "Salewa Lederwarenfabrik, Gmbh" with a Waffen acceptance of WaA927 in 1943-44.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ron, Thanks for the hot glue tip, sounds like a good idea. I will give this a try after I return from the range next time and clean it. I figured someone out there must have came up with a clever idea, as I suspect the grips becoming a little loose after 80 or 90 years :) may not be too uncommon.
RockinWR, You certainly sound like the holster master! Thanks for the correction. I have had several people tell me P-38 and after researching the internet I have to agree with you, although several P-38 holster pics I have seen look very much like mine. I guess the Holster for both pistols must be very simular.
I don't know if I should sale the holster and buy a real Luger one, or buy a Luger holster and try to find a WWII BHP to go with the holster I have?
Think maybe I will just keep it as is. If the story is true (and Pistol/Mag/Holster do appear to have been stored together for a very long time) and this holster came with the pistol from germany, then, well it makes an interesting "story" that I can pass on to my son, who has claimed the Luger as his own, even though he is only 11! (He is responsible for the purchase anyway, as he saw a picture of them for sale in the SOG flyer and started pressuring me to buy one, it's always been an exciting pistol for Him)
Thanks again for all your help.
Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.