Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
numbers matching except the mag. Stock matches as well. #7733m. Marked the 254 R,J.R and the 2nd company which was from Darmstadt Germany. (Hessen). The take down tools are different. One looks repro and unmarked. The other I’m unsure of the letters under the proof. Not sure about cleaning rod.

the stock steel matches and has the proper wood cartouche.
Trommel mag is bing type 2.
dark brown holster with no marks but shows age and has Heines written in pencil the flap. Missing the long strap and extra mag case if anyone has them on me.

love the input from you experts and I’d love to know what you think i need to insure it for Don’t think I got an amazing deal but to me it’s exactly what I wanted even around the 7

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Really nice rig! My quick assessment, so maybe some mistakes, the pistol, rod, stock and trommel are very nice and correct. The holsters is also nice but has has some restoration but looks pretty good. The tool with eagle is bad, didn’t look at the other one. The magazine is from an Erfurt but that’s okay.
the 1917 LP08s have long been at the bottom of the LP08 pecking order due to the quantity made and also the relative number in the US compared to other dates. This is a little unfortunate IMO because as of the last 10 years or so we know with primary source information that most all LP08s went to arm the Sturmtruppen and this documented combat use or at least issue to this purpose adds a real historical context to this years production that somewhat offsets the higher production, IMO. Yours is even better with the relatively scarce unit mark that further proves the assault element designation of the weapon. The 254th regiment was part of the 76 reserve infantry division and that unit faced US doughboys in several large actions in the later summer and autumn of 1918. No doubt (to me) then results of one of those encounters is how the pistol and stock ended up here! Not often can a weapon tell much of its story like this one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really nice rig! My quick assessment, so maybe some mistakes, the pistol, rod, stock and trommel are very nice and correct. The holsters is also nice but has has some restoration but looks pretty good. The tool with eagle is bad, didn’t look at the other one. The magazine is from an Erfurt but that’s okay.
the 1917 LP08s have long been at the bottom of the LP08 pecking order due to the quantity made and also the relative number in the US compared to other dates. This is a little unfortunate IMO because as of the last 10 years or so we know with primary source information that most all LP08s went to arm the Sturmtruppen and this documented combat use or at least issue to this purpose adds a real historical context to this years production that somewhat offsets the higher production, IMO. Yours is even better with the relatively scarce unit mark that further proves the assault element designation of the weapon. The 254th regiment was part of the 76 reserve infantry division and that unit faced US doughboys in several large actions in the later summer and autumn of 1918. No doubt (to me) then results of one of those encounters is how the pistol and stock ended up here! Not often can a weapon tell much of its story like this one.
Awesome. I was trying to compare the rod to tell so you helped me
On that. I actually found out the 254th was part of the whole battle that included the “lost Bn” in which a movie was made. I didn’t include but found this on eBay as well. Out of the 120 German Soldiers in the 2nd company, I found one of their dog tags. Just crazy.
Rectangle Font Gas Screenshot Jewellery

7 Posts
I love seeing unit marked lugers as that is one of my main collecting interest. That’s a nice solid example of one. I would say value is around 7k-8k for everything as unit marked guns in my experience bring a good premium. Here are some photos of 2 1917 artillery lugers unit marked mortar regiment guns I own. Notice the serial numbers are 41 off from each other

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
I love seeing unit marked lugers as that is one of my main collecting interest. That’s a nice solid example of one. I would say value is around 7k-8k for everything …..
For what it’s worth I agree with your value estimate. I think that these unit marked LP08s are really under valued right now and think in time the appreciation will be reflected by higher values still.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
You are right and I love to see such collectable rigs, but both tool are bad... but the magazine is not Erfurt, it´s DWM and typical for late DWM LP08. The 4 clips in the doubble mag pouches came with the underlined t with three lobe crown. It has the same acceptance we can see on the receiver. I observed several DWM 1917 LP08 with magazines with the C/t acceptance here in Germany.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts