Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello folks. I just dove into the deep, deep pool of Luger collecting (or will I manage to stick to the one?) after trying to semi-immerse myself in the knowledge. Fortunately, I have a virtual new friend in Illinois who helped me greatly over the past 2 months leading to this 1941 p-suffix Mauser. I think I did very well and am quite pleased. Anyhow, I picked this up 2 weeks ago at a very large gunshow. All matching, save the magazine, which does had an aluminum bottom from an entirely different lot, and was pretty beat up. I've since had the magazine professionally refurbished, including a reproduction bakelite base. I also managed to get 2 Mec-Car modern mags.

The bakelite grips are genuine and and passed the hot pin test with flying colors. They appear to be "type 3," and I've already shared them to the black grip study on another thread. It took a while to take some good pictures, after I carefully cleaned and lubricated the Luger. I took many more pictures during the disassembly. I WILL shoot it (at least a little), and have already purchased a modern repro extractor and black plastic grips when I shoot it. On that note, the bore is shiny but the lands and grooves show some wear, as does the bore chamber and feed ramp.

Please let me know what you think, share any insights you might, and please let me know if you have any questions. On that note, how would you rate the overall finish and condition? Thanks!

Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Revolver Wood Gun barrel
Air gun Trigger Rectangle Gun accessory Office equipment
Household hardware Watch accessory Nickel Fashion accessory Auto part

Registered
Looks really nice , I got chills when you said refurbished and repro 馃槅, It鈥檚 like a dirty words to me . Unless it had finish issues or import stamp I personally wouldn鈥檛 shoot with it , but that鈥檚 me . My shooter has some issues

Premium Member
I'd say you have an excellent luger to start a good collection. I have a byf 41 that retains a bit more original finish than what you show in your photos. I never shoot mine tho. If that were my byf 41 I'd tuck it back in my safe, buy a mis-match or refurbished shooter luger and keep that one in its current near pristine condition. Why would you replace the extractor and grip panels with repros ??? I hope you still have the aluminum bottom from the mag. you had refurbished. Why did you do that ??? For what it's worth, buy an original WWII luger holster with an original loading tool, pop that luger in it and tuck it away. Until you find an original holster you could pick up a repro holster for about $30 and keep the luger in it to avoid dings or scratched on its nearly prime surface. You have a very good start on a luger collection, don't mess it up. You asked for comments and questions, above are mine.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I appreciate the candor. To clarify: I will use the plastic grips and modern extractor only when I shoot it (which won't be much), as those are a snap to swap-out. I was advised to do so. The non-matching magazine was beat-up (looks MUCH better now) so I had the base swapped-out. I still have the aluminum base it came with. My original plan was to get an Interarms/Mauser German style P08 to shoot and as a quasi-collectible, yet scads of the Swiss-style were the only ones I could find. I could not pass-up the chance to get a so-called black widow byf41 when I came across it. Such an elegant weapon.

Registered
Thanks. I appreciate the candor. To clarify: I will use the plastic grips and modern extractor only when I shoot it (which won't be much), as those are a snap to swap-out. I was advised to do so. The non-matching magazine was beat-up (looks MUCH better now) so I had the base swapped-out. I still have the aluminum base it came with. My original plan was to get an Interarms/Mauser German style P08 to shoot and as a quasi-collectible, yet scads of the Swiss-style were the only ones I could find. I could not pass-up the chance to get a so-called black widow byf41 when I came across it. Such an elegant weapon.
Awesome, I鈥檓 my opinion if you ever decide to sell it , keep all the repro/ refurb stuff well out of the picture. It will make any serious collectors question the whole gun

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of course. If/when I sell it will be as shown but with the refurbished magazine. I inherited a French MAC 50 pistol from 1952 from my deceased FIL who was a two-tour Viet Nam veteran (and USMA grad). He brought that super-rare pistol back and I have the war trophy certificate that came with it. French to VC to U.S. Army. Clean as a whistle and bone-dry. But you bet your tushy I shot it (after lubricating). A little, and now I never will shoot it again. If that pistol broke a part it would be next to impossible to fix/replace...

Registered
Of course. If/when I sell it will be as shown but with the refurbished magazine. I inherited a French MAC 50 pistol from 1952 from my deceased FIL who was a two-tour Viet Nam veteran (and USMA grad). He brought that super-rare pistol back and I have the war trophy certificate that came with it. French to VC to U.S. Army. Clean as a whistle and bone-dry. But you bet your tushy I shot it (after lubricating). A little, and now I never will shoot it again. If that pistol broke a part it would be next to impossible to fix/replace...
Keep the 鈥 refurbished 鈥 magazine as far away from it as possible. Trust me it鈥檚 a red flag . You would be better off picking up a beat up original mismatched. I have some Bakelite with chipped base I use for shooting . I won鈥檛 even have repro in my safe 鈥. It puts everything into question鈥 just my 2

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep the 鈥 refurbished 鈥 magazine as far away from it as possible. Trust me it鈥檚 a red flag . You would be better off picking up a beat up original mismatched. I have some Bakelite with chipped base鈥檚 I use for shooting . I won鈥檛 even have repro in my safe 鈥. It puts everything into question鈥 just my 2
Fair enough. I just got it. I did not buy with intent to "flip" it. It is a magazine, and not even a super-rare/expensive magazine. I'm sure I'll be able to obtain an original bakelite base or mismatched aluminum one before too long and for not too much money. Thanks again.

Registered
Fair enough. I just got it. I did not buy with intent to "flip" it. It is a magazine, and not even a super-rare/expensive magazine. I'm sure I'll be able to obtain an original bakelite base or mismatched aluminum one before too long and for not too much money. Thanks again.
In the current market I鈥檓 paying $250 for a good fxo Bakelite. I got this one today , pretty minty but it was 3 bills . You take what you can get for quality
Wood Grey Automotive exterior Metal Fashion accessory

Registered
Beauty of a 1941 byf...would really need to see the underbelly of the pistol, and especially the front/rear grip strap...if going by what I can see so far, 96% - 97% I think is a fair evaluation...the grip straps condition is high on the list of determining condition...and those photos are not included...can you send photos...?

Edward

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Edward T. See additional photos of front and back straps and underside (trigger guard). I think these came off nicely. I found a great, and a bit bizarre, place to shoot photos in my basement where the light during the days seems just right. I keep going back to it.
Wood Bicycle part Cylinder Tool Nickel
Automotive lighting Bicycle part Bumper Tool Auto part
Bicycle part Trigger Automotive design Carbon Air gun

Air gun Silver Gun accessory Gun barrel Metal

Attachments

Registered
Thanks Edward T. See additional photos of front and back straps and underside (trigger guard). I think these came off nicely. I found a great, and a bit bizarre, place to shoot photos in my basement where the light during the days seems just right. I keep going back to it. View attachment 660829 View attachment 660830 View attachment 660832

View attachment 660836
I stand by my previous statement...97%...would rate it "Excellent" condition...yes, they are elegant pieces...congratulations...need a proper, authentic E/37/fxo/P.08 "Bakelite" base magazine, to go with her...they run now about $220 to $280 for one in excellent condition...then a spare magazine also...of course, then an authentic circa 1941 black holster...馃槒 (P.S. ...try to avoid using a "white" background for taking photos...it kind of "washes out", "bleaches" the photos of your Parabellum, or any object...others on this Forum will tell you the same...and keep your wonderful acquisition well oiled...that is one nice thing, having the "Bakelite" grips on your byf...you can be more liberal with the gun oil, without worrying about walnut grip oil soak...馃檪)

Edward

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Edward T. Suggestions on a background color? I know, from even my limited experience, that they are hard to photograph...

Registered
I like a nice wood background...these are three of mine...1941 byf (central) other two are 1942 byf's...this kind of background is much "warmer"...not "washed out"...(not trying to "hijack" your thread...as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words...if you would like to see more photos of these three, check out my thread called "A bevy of byf's...Mauser - Mania" on the Mauser Luger threads...it is fairly recent...the only problem you have w/this 1941 byf, is now to find a 1942 byf "stable mate"...馃槒)

For me personally, rust-blued/strawed small parts Lugers should be photographed in LOW - LEVEL, natural sunlight...Later (Mauser) examples, hot - salt blued Lugers, seem, to me, photograph better in artificial light, with dark backrounds...

Edward

Premium Member
Ed ---- Beautiful Lugers all three. I have a byf 41 and a byf 42 both all matching numbers with 41 & 42 dated original holsters. The 41 byf has an aluminum bottom unnumbered magazine and the 42 byf's mag. is not numbered to the luger but is very nice none the less. I sure like these luger posts and somewhat drool over them.

Batty ----- You have a very beautiful luger as well. I think you should pick up a shooter mismatch or refinished luger and put this byf 41 away for admiring and passing on to your kids or grand kids. You won't be sorry saving it in its current beautiful condition.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts