Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I would like to offer my Dreyse 1907 for assessment. This one was obtained from another forum member on the K98k Forum. It is Imperial German proofed, which is a nice touch, and all parts are matching. The serial number of this one is 129751, which seems to place it at a date of 1916 based on the following sticked post (correct me if I am wrong).

Othias of C&Rsenal was not kidding when he said to take extra caution when removing the recoil spring follower for disassembly. On my latest cleaning, it shot across the room and into a messy corner of my workroom, which resulted in the need to spend 3 hours cleaning and looking for it behind the workbench and cabinets. Since then I have come up with a home made contraption to simplify installation and removal of the follower, with a means of "capturing" it in case tension is suddenly released.

So far, I have only taken it out to the range once. I had some issues with feeding (Winchester .32acp):
1. With a freshly loaded magazine, it seemed that the slide would get hung up halfway through racking. I later realized, I just needed to add more "oomph", which is a bit awkward with the gripping surface near the muzzle. This was confirmed with some .32acp snap caps.
2. After firing the first cartridge, I would have FTF issues, which I think could be addressed with a replacement Wolff recoil spring, which has since been installed, but not tested.

Everyday carry Air gun Gun accessory Trigger Gun barrel

Revolver Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Gun barrel

Overall, I like this neat little pistol. My wife remarked that the design looks like what a young child would draw if you told them to draw a "pistol" using their imagination.

· Registered
157 Posts
Hi !
I would share my Dreyse s.n. 227823, Czech contract. I posted this picture some time ago but I had no reply. It looks unfired and I know that the Czech rejected these pistols very soon after purchasing. It would be nice to know why...
I tried it with some Fiocchi ammos with no problem at all... Agree with the barrel disassembly which is a nightmare... I just left it alone but it was very difficult to clean it after shooting. The box is not orginal and was added by the previous owner. By the way, I got this Dreyse at a German auction some years ago...
Thanks for watching !
Fausto

· Registered
2,168 Posts
Hello,

I would like to offer my Dreyse 1907 for assessment. This one was obtained from another forum member on the K98k Forum. It is Imperial German proofed, which is a nice touch, and all parts are matching. The serial number of this one is 129751, which seems to place it at a date of 1916 based on the following sticked post (correct me if I am wrong).

Othias of C&Rsenal was not kidding when he said to take extra caution when removing the recoil spring follower for disassembly. On my latest cleaning, it shot across the room and into a messy corner of my workroom, which resulted in the need to spend 3 hours cleaning and looking for it behind the workbench and cabinets. Since then I have come up with a home made contraption to simplify installation and removal of the follower, with a means of "capturing" it in case tension is suddenly released.

So far, I have only taken it out to the range once. I had some issues with feeding (Winchester .32acp):
1. With a freshly loaded magazine, it seemed that the slide would get hung up halfway through racking. I later realized, I just needed to add more "oomph", which is a bit awkward with the gripping surface near the muzzle. This was confirmed with some .32acp snap caps.
2. After firing the first cartridge, I would have FTF issues, which I think could be addressed with a replacement Wolff recoil spring, which has since been installed, but not tested.
Very nice! Thank you for sharing! Yes, I estimate 1916 production for yours, although I must reiterate this is a rough estimate. It is assuredly WWI era though, as it is German Military Accepted (GMA). Othais was spot on indeed! I once was taking one apart and "shot" myself in the knee with the spring cap, it nearly felt like I had been shot!

As to your range issues, I highly recommend three things:
1) Use European (S&B, PPU, etc) .32acp. There are some small differences in the rim between American and European made .32acp. American guns will take both, but some European guns will only take European .32acp.
2) I agree that a new recoil spring was a good idea.
3) If all else fails, before filing or doing anything more to the pistol, give it a good oiling and try a different magazine.

Hope this helps!

Hi !
I would share my Dreyse s.n. 227823, Czech contract. I posted this picture some time ago but I had no reply. It looks unfired and I know that the Czech rejected these pistols very soon after purchasing. It would be nice to know why...
I tried it with some Fiocchi ammos with no problem at all... Agree with the barrel disassembly which is a nightmare... I just left it alone but it was very difficult to clean it after shooting. The box is not orginal and was added by the previous owner. By the way, I got this Dreyse at a German auction some years ago...
Thanks for watching !
Fausto
A gorgeous Czech proofed Dreyse! I too am trying to find information on why the Czechs rejected the pistols, although I am not sure if they rejected them at all in the first place!

Reactions: krukster86

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As to your range issues, I highly recommend three things:
1) Use European (S&B, PPU, etc) .32acp. There are some small differences in the rim between American and European made .32acp. American guns will take both, but some European guns will only take European .32acp.
2) I agree that a new recoil spring was a good idea.
3) If all else fails, before filing or doing anything more to the pistol, give it a good oiling and try a different magazine.

Hope this helps!
I will have to try out those European brands to see if I have better luck. Finding .32acp locally is quite the challenge! I may just have to end up buying some in bulk.

· Registered
181 Posts
I will have to try out those European brands to see if I have better luck. Finding .32acp locally is quite the challenge! I may just have to end up buying some in bulk.
Try sellier and bellot. Theirs is loaded a little hotter as 7.65mm is over .32 acp. I need that for several of my older European guns to prevent stove piping (weaker .32 doesn't blow the slide all the way back).

· Registered
527 Posts
Othias is a really cool guy. I’ve had lots of interactions with him at gun shows including SOS. I was lucky enough to get on his subscriber’s podcast with him back in fall 2020 over my Thesis thanks to a convo I had with him at 2020 SOS about it. When I saw him at a local show last year and told him I moved to the Charleston area, he remembered me invited me over to hang out with some friends on the weekends. It’s a good time and I get to see a lot of cool stuff they have going on.

· Registered
157 Posts
Thanks Deutschland and krukster !
Living in Italy I have always been amaized to know that some Dreyse pistols were still issued to the Vatican Swiss Guards until early 1990s. Then they finally switched to Sig Sauer...
Stay well !

· Registered
2,168 Posts
Thanks Deutschland and krukster !
Living in Italy I have always been amaized to know that some Dreyse pistols were still issued to the Vatican Swiss Guards until early 1990s. Then they finally switched to Sig Sauer...
Stay well !
Indeed, incredible! I have never seen one, do you happen to know what they look like?

· Registered
157 Posts
No, Deutschland... Unfortunately I have no idea what they look like. But I incline to think that they had no special markings... The Swiss Pope Guards - as you surely know - wear old 1500 costumes in public and you will see them armed just with halberds and swords. Real guns - as pistols - are for "internal" emergency use. By the way, many years ago a Swiss Guards soldier killed his Commandant and his wife with a Sig Sauer and then committed suicide with the same gun. No one discovered for certain why... A bad history ...

· Registered
2,168 Posts
No, Deutschland... Unfortunately I have no idea what they look like. But I incline to think that they had no special markings... The Swiss Pope Guards - as you surely know - wear old 1500 costumes in public and you will see them armed just with halberds and swords. Real guns - as pistols - are for "internal" emergency use. By the way, many years ago a Swiss Guards soldier killed his Commandant and his wife with a Sig Sauer and then committed suicide with the same gun. No one discovered for certain why... A bad history ...
That is my feeling as well. Unfortunately, without production logs, we may never be able to determined with any certainty how to identify a Pope Dreyse.

· Premium Member
1,162 Posts
That is my feeling as well. Unfortunately, without production logs, we may never be able to determined with any certainty how to identify a Pope Dreyse.
Found this
Speaking of the Swiss Guards Armory, it is a functional time capsule of Swiss weapons development. Inside the secure location deep within the Vatican are racks of Model 1871 Vetterli Rifles (with their extremely collectable Yataghan-style short-sword bayonets), opposite racks of Swiss T59 rifled muskets with socket bayonets. These guns mingle freely with SIG 510 and 550 assault rifles and lounge among 15th century edged weapons. Items in the armory are marked ‘AG’, which means “Ausrustung der Garde,” or “Equipment of the Guard/Guard Property” but have never been sold as surplus, making any Swiss-made firearm so marked a subject of a very interesting conversation.
Happy Easter: Guns of the Vatican's Swiss Guard, the world's oldest continuously serving military unit :: Guns.com

Rectangle Font Gadget Fashion accessory Electric blue

· Registered
2,168 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Nice looking Dreyse you’ve got there. I’ve got an imperial proofed rig as well 145281 and it’s a pleasure to shoot. I bought a couple cases of the Geco brand ball ammo a few years back and run that in all my .32 pistols. I haven’t had any issues with that brand so far.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts