Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I just won this on Gunbroker yesterday, and slightly under what I anticipated it to go for, to boot. It's a fully matching 1917 DWM LP08 with a matching (spare) magazine. The seller said the grips are originals but they are not serialized underneath - I will double-check once I get it. It looks like it's in decent shape but sat in a holster for a long time which has led to acid wear to the finish. Besides that, it seems to be in pretty good condition and it has a bright shiny bore which is always great. From what I can tell it doesn't have a suffix on the SN # which is something I've seen before on others. I'm not exactly sure if it's an early 1917 or late 1917 model as it doesn't have the precise front and rear sights. I've wanted one of these for a while and I'm glad to have finally picked one up at a reasonable price.
EDIT
Thank you all for your insight in letting me know this isn't a legitimate Artillery Luger. The shop didn't know either and took care of me completely and refunded everything I paid. They said they will re-list it with all the new info that they have so that the next person who bids will know what it truly is.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Congratulations on your 1917 Artillery model. Years ago I had one in pretty rough shape - lots of pits - but it shot well and was reliable. If you plan on shooting it, I suggest buying a Mec-Gar magazine.

I suspect that yours will have a suffix letter as the simplification of the sights began with eliminating the front sight screw early in 1917 and the rear sight change came later in the year. Gortz & Sturgess note that the sight changes came progressively throughout 1917 production but the earliest 1917 Artillery Lugers have the fine tune rear sights.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congratulations on your 1917 Artillery model. Years ago I had one in pretty rough shape - lots of pits - but it shot well and was reliable. If you plan on shooting it, I suggest buying a Mec-Gar magazine.

I suspect that yours will have a suffix letter as the simplification of the sights began with eliminating the front sight screw early in 1917 and the rear sight change came later in the year. Gortz & Sturgess note that the sight changes came progressively throughout 1917 production but the earliest 1917 Artillery Lugers have the fine tune rear sights.
Thanks! I have a couple of Mec-Gar mags on order for it. I will look for a suffix letter once I get it, would it be uncommon for it to not have one if it does not?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Thanks! I have a couple of Mec-Gar mags on order for it. I will look for a suffix letter once I get it, would it be uncommon for it to not have one if it does not?
Yes, I would think so.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
10,125 Posts
Now a stock..then a holster and you will have it all!

Reactions: deoxys987

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I would think so.
Looking back at what I remember, if this LP08 were to have a SN # suffix, shouldn't the matching magazine have it too? That leads me to believe that it may not have a suffix after all.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Looking back at what I remember, if this LP08 were to have a SN # suffix, shouldn't the matching magazine have it too? That leads me to believe that it may not have a suffix after all.
Matching magazines have been reported with a suffix letter and without a suffix letter. Some LP.08 spare magazines had no serial numbers at all. You'll know for certain once you have it in hand.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Matching magazines have been reported with a suffix letter and without a suffix letter. Some LP.08 spare magazines had no serial numbers at all. You'll know for certain once you have it in hand.
Great, thank you!

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
There is no "suffix" in your pictures; it would be on the barrel, frame, and most likely also on the magazine base.
Generally the fine tune features were dropped later in 1917, but such examples are found throughout the 1917 year, including at least one example with no suffix, as yours is.
Refer to Central Powers pistols by Jan Still. He has a chart to sight changes in his chapter on the LP 08, page 102.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Now that a picture of the front of the frame can be seen, it's clear that there is no suffix letter.

However, there are details about the gun that give me pause and I suspect that it's a parts gun, made up from more than one gun. The receiver rails extend well beyond the frame suggesting that the frame has been scrubbed and renumbered. The number 21 appears on the underside of the side plate in the commercial manner which would not be correct for a military pistol. The position of the serial number and bore diameter stamps are further back than normal.

I may be off base but that's what I see and it makes me suspicious.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The receiver rails being proud of the frame is a red flag and the side plate with the serial # stamped in the commercial style is not a good sign either, so Doubs may be right you may have a parts gun.

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,131 Posts
In addition to all that's been noted above, the magazine base shows an Erfurt acceptance stamp.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now that a picture of the front of the frame can be seen, it's clear that there is no suffix letter.

However, there are details about the gun that give me pause and I suspect that it's a parts gun, made up from more than one gun. The receiver rails extend well beyond the frame suggesting that the frame has been scrubbed and renumbered. The number 21 appears on the underside of the side plate in the commercial manner which would not be correct for a military pistol. The position of the serial number and bore diameter stamps are further back than normal.

I may be off base but that's what I see and it makes me suspicious.
Interesting.... They had it listed as numbers matching and original..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The receiver rails being proud of the frame is a red flag and the side plate with the serial # stamped in the commercial style is not a good sign either, so Doubs may be right you may have a parts gun.
Yikes. I just paid for it this morning. Any thoughts on what I should do? I think it'll get to our shops warehouse this week.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is what was described in the auction listing:
"You are bidding on an original DWM Luger P08 Artillery Model. This is a semi-automatic pistol chambered for the 9x19mm cartridge. Has an 8" barrel and adjustable ladder sights. Has the notch on the backstrap for mounting a buttstock. All parts are original with matching numbers, except the grips which are unmarked. Even the magazine is matching! Condition is good, with some patchy finish wear, all shown in the photos. Bore is excellent, clean and bright with good rifling. Action appears to be functioning well."
I figure since the listing is over that there isn't any harm in posting the link: DWM Luger P08 Artillery 9mm All Matching 8" Mfg in 1917 C&R OK - Curios & Relics at GunBroker.com : 896108517
I'd appreciate some insight as far as what should be done. I bought it assuming it was a legitimate LP08 and not a parts gun that might have been renumbered.

·
10,125 Posts
I'd appreciate some insight as far as what should be done. $2,400 plus tax, title and shipping is WAY more than this pistol is worth from the condition I see. I suspect turning it around is going to cost something over a hundred dollar bill..but keeping it will cost you a thousand.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I wish I had an answer for you, it says "unspecified" in the return policy. I'm not sure but can you contact the seller with what you found out? Maybe if he is a standup guy he will take it back, after all it is not what was advertised.

·
10,125 Posts
it says "unspecified" in the return policy. Auctions with "unspecified" in the return policy are covered in chapter 1 of Luger University 101. Bid or don't bid.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts