Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says this is my first Luger. There are not many markings evident. The only one I see is a "N" with a crown. Also the barrel is shorter than others I've seen posted and is 3 3/4" inches long. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for helping!
Wood Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Bicycle part Gun accessory
Wood Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Bicycle part Gun accessory
Bicycle part Vehicle Rim Carbon Tints and shades
Wood Air gun Hardwood Tints and shades Everyday carry
Grey Glove Wood Fashion accessory Metal
Air gun Trigger Wood Grey Gun barrel
Finger Bicycle part Household hardware Thumb Cylinder
Door Wood Shotgun Hardwood Office supplies
Wood Automotive lighting Gas Rectangle Font
Wood Door Musical instrument Gas Auto part

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It's likely you have a .30 Luger caliber pistoil. Is that correct?

We make a FAQ PDF document available on this site. Download it for good reference information.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Yes it is 7.62 Luger.
Welcome to the forum. The correct designation is 7.65mm or .30 caliber. It can also go by .30 Luger and 7.65mm Parabellum.... same cartridge by different names.

You have a Commercial "alphabet" Luger produced in the mid-1920's. I can't be certain but the suffix letter on the frame appears to be a "k" in which case your pistol was likely made around 1923, give or take. The alphabet Lugers are the most common model encountered and are of excellent quality. If in good condition, they are fine shooters. I do suggest that you buy a Mec-Gar magazine if you intend to shoot it. Your original mag looks a little beat.

It appears to have been refinished at some point and the front sight is a replacement. The "standing" crown/N on the left receiver is a commercial proof mark. Many thousands of them were made for export to the United States and were marked "GERMANY" or "Made in Germany". If yours was so marked, the markings may have been removed during the refinish. If never marked, it may have been sold somewhere other than the US and imported later. The factory barrels were 95mm. I don't see any markings under your barrel. They could also have been removed during the refinish or the barrel may be a replacement.

If the bore is good, it should be a nice shooter.

·
Administrator
13,820 Posts
I see you correctly measured the barrel, many folks miss from breech to end of barrel :)

An interesting fact is that barrel lengths actually could be different sizes, not special order, just that in adjustments, which I have always assumed that the front where the crown is, that some could be taken off or slightly longer, while at the breech end, they might have messed up some threads, in fixing it, would make it shorter.

I have seen artilleries that seem to be even more pronounced in length, one was almost an inch shorter than 'normal'.

Reactions: Daniel76

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like the title says this is my first Luger. There are not many markings evident. The only one I see is a "N" with a crown. Also the barrel is shorter than others I've seen posted and is 3 3/4" inches long. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for helping!
View attachment 653013 View attachment 653014 View attachment 653013 View attachment 653014 View attachment 653015 View attachment 653016 View attachment 653017 View attachment 653018 View attachment 653019 View attachment 653020 View attachment 653021 View attachment 653022
View attachment 653013 View attachment 653014 View attachment 653013 View attachment 653014 View attachment 653015 View attachment 653016 View attachment 653017 View attachment 653018 View attachment 653019 View attachment 653020 View attachment 653021 View attachment 653022
Thank you everyone or sharing your thoughts on this Luger. They were very helpful!

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
It’s the perfect pistol to get as your first Luger. A good shooter is important to have, now your only problem as I see it is stopping with just one. Most collectors get hooked on Lugers and want to get others from different categories. Joining the Forum is a smart move but also look into some reference books. Studying up on these amazing firearms is important so a person doesn’t get “stung” as there are some pitfalls to be aware of, but that’s in every genre of collecting. Have fun shooting your Luger!
Jim

·
Registered
63 Posts
I see you correctly measured the barrel, many folks miss from breech to end of barrel :)

An interesting fact is that barrel lengths actually could be different sizes, not special order, just that in adjustments, which I have always assumed that the front where the crown is, that some could be taken off or slightly longer, while at the breech end, they might have messed up some threads, in fixing it, would make it shorter.

I have seen artilleries that seem to be even more pronounced in length, one was almost an inch shorter than 'normal'.
Ed,
Are you referring to artillery pistols in their original configuration, or after they were modified to meet treaty requirements? I'm assuming modified, because I have seen a couple that were previously artillery pistols and it was clear the barrels were shorter than 'normal' as you say.

·
Administrator
13,820 Posts
No, it is just interesting that not all the barrels met certain lengths, we are talking small differences, but in putting on a barrel, it might have had a slight issue and was shorter or longer.

There are a thread or two on the frum where someone has had a shorter barrel than normal.

Sorry, was just a off-hand comment....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts