Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

This is the first CZ 27 that I have gotten to see up close and I’d like to share it you all. It is SN 36486 and is all matching and in perfect working order, but as you can see, the finish has seen better days. Note from the photos that there are no German WaA or firing proof marks visible other than “Bohmische Waffenfabrik A.G. in Prag” on the top of the slide.

I can clearly see that the area of the barrel visible though the ejection port has been filed down where the firing proof should have been. I believe that I can even make out a hint of the outline for the Eagle/Swastika in this area (see photos). There is also what looks like a gridding mark on the right side of the frame above the gripes where the WaA should have been – but I cannot see any evidence that it was ever there since the overall finish of the entire pistol looks like it was scrubbed mostly off. There is no evidence that there ever was a WaA on the top of the slide between the word “Prag” and the serial number.

The gentleman that sold it to me believes that the pistol is likely a private purchase and would not have been marked with the WaA markings since it would not have been accepted as German military property. If this is the case, then this would make this a very interesting pistol indeed, but after giving the pistol a close look under magnification I am beginning to think that this could be a standard military pistol made under German occupation but with German military markings removed. It does not really matter either way since I did not pay every much for the pistol but it is a mystery that I’d like your options on.

Here are my questions for you CZ 27 experts:
1. When was this pistol made? I’m thinking about 1940.
2. What time frame had the SN marked on the top of the slide? I’ve seen photos with and without.
3. What can you tell me about private purchased sidearms from CZ, and how would they have been marked?
4. From my photos, do any of you folks think that the “evil” Nazi markings could been removed from my pistol?

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
German military CZ27 with the German markings scrubbed/ground off. Looks like they tried half heartedly to remove the frame serial number also. No evidence of commercial whatsoever.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for you inputs Nagoya10. I think the marks over the frame SN is more likely general damage rather than an attempt to remove the numbers. What would Nazi era commercial markings look like? Would they have used the Czech lion or the CZ logo in a circle like on the prewar pistols?

Mike

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thanks for you inputs Nagoya10. I think the marks over the frame SN is more likely general damage rather than an attempt to remove the numbers. What would Nazi era commercial markings look like? Would they have used the Czech lion or the CZ logo in a circle like on the prewar pistols?

Mike

According to Robert Whittington in German Pistols and Holsters 1934-1945 Vol. II, the Cz27 was produced under occupation from approximately serial 16000. He does show a much later Cz27 with a police Eagle/K on the left front trigger guard and claims it has a Czech Lion/N marks, but does not show the marks locations.

The grips on your pistol are from much later production since the CZ marks are not present in the circles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts