Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Friends:

I was in one of my favorite gun shops recently and they have had this Nambu kicking around since 03/21/98. It was sold and buyer never picked it up and since he put only a minimal deposit after 7 years the owner thought he would put it back on the market.

It is dated 18.1 I found out was January 1943. It is not rusted nor pitted just looks like it had maybe blood stains of just a bad blue job as it was manufactured towards the end of the war.

All the numbers I could see were matching including the magazine. Since I have never field stripped one the owner would rather I attempt it after it was paid for! I have directions on how to field strip it but I respect his request.

I would like to purchase a correct holster and possibly a cleaning rod and extra magazine. Any information and or advise would be much appreciated. Also if you have any items that you would consider selling to make up a complete rig I would truly like to hear from you.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Regards,

George

Download Attachment: 100_1194.jpg
67.12 KB

Download Attachment: 100_1195.jpg
72.3 KB

Download Attachment: 100_1197.jpg
94.21 KB

Download Attachment: 100_1200.jpg
101.08 KB

Download Attachment: 100_1203.jpg
65.29 KB

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Ed:

Sorry my friend that I neglected to post pictures of the other side. I try keep the folks with Dial-Up in mind with posting. Here are a few pictures. Many thanks Ed for responding.

Regards,

George

PS: Paid @$257.00

Download Attachment: 100_1191.jpg
93.75 KB

Download Attachment: 100_1192.jpg
98.28 KB

Download Attachment: 100_1198.jpg
49.45 KB

Download Attachment: 100_1199.jpg
60.26 KB

Download Attachment: 100_1205.jpg
66.95 KB

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,688 Posts
Hi George,
Nice purchase!! FYI, the matching mag was the spare mag as indicated by the dot above the serial number. Your next question will be....ammo!!! Old Western Scrounger sells modern ammo he makes up..a bit pricey though. If you are going to shoot it, consider replacing the two recoil springs. They are probably OK but to be on the safe side. Include in the replacements the firing pin spring also. Numerich has these springs, although Wolfe might have better quality. The serial number should also be on the inside of the grips written in pencil. I used to do a lot of Nambu shooting. BTW, you are still planning to go to the Big "E" aren't you???

Dave

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dear David:

Thanks for the advise on the Nambu 14. I don't plan on shooting it much. It seems like many of the pistols I have purchased I have not fired.

Yes I plan on meeting you at the Big E Gun Show on March 12, 2005.

I never gave it at thought till you recent posting. I was at the Middletown, NY Gun Show on Saturday and I bet you were there as well. A buddy purchased a S&W K22 5 screw revolver from a dealer from West Nyack, NY at the show and will only ship to an FFL not to the buyer which sounds odd since both are located in New York!

Well, my buddy and I plan to travel to the Suffern New York Gun Show at the Holiday Inn to pick up his revolver. Are you planning to attend this show?

Regards,

George

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dear David:

I am sorry I missed you at the Middletown, New York Gun Show. We arrived at 9:40 am on Saturday and there were two very long lines. The promoter should really look for a larger building or allow less vendors which I am sure neither will be done due to financial reasons. The show was just to crowded! As I recall, that's why I stopped attending this show a few years back. To far, to small & way to crowded!

I have never attended the Suffern Show and probably will never again but my buddy needs to pick up his revolver.

Regards,

George

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Picked up my Nambu yesterday evening. I field striped it and all numbers match, even the firing pin.

Could some please advise how many places the Nambu 14 is marked? I would like to make sure all parts are correct.

The grips are stamped with the last four numbers of serial numbers. I will post pictures this evening.

Regards,

George

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,688 Posts
George,
They are marked pretty much everywhere!...Barrel/receiver, bottom of bolt, locking block, cocking piece, firing pin (some are replacements and may not be marked), trigger,and trigger housing. I don't remember if the safety was numbered, but if you are stripping it down, be careful removing the safety. It is kind of delicate and can only come out one way due to the key slot in the receiver. I know the sear bar isn't numbered...I just finished stripping out a real dog!!! My early (small triggerguard) and late T-14's have the grips numbered in pencil on the inside.

Dave

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This Nambu 14 has got my attention so I plan on purchasing a book called "Japanese Military Cartridge Handguns 1893-1945 by Harry Derby and James Brown" for $70.00 at the West Springfield, MA Gun Show. By doing this I will be able to find the answers to my questions.

What I would like to ask is were the grips coated with anything when the left the arsenal. I have Whitting from Brownells that I would like to put on the grips to clean them up. Or possibly I should leave them the way they are.

Regards,

George

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,688 Posts
George,
When they are new, they seem to have that orange varnish that you see on Jap Rifles. When you get Harry Derby's Book from my friends Sarah & Bill Loos at The Big "E", you will see what I mean. However, when they get warn, this finish seems to come off and they are quite porous!!

Dave

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dear Dave:

You hit the nail right on the head as far as who I am purchasing the book from, Sara Loos. The other guy who usually at the show, Mike from Shooting Galley Books lives right around the corner from me(within a 4 min drive). He is where I purchased all Jan Still's and many other gun books when I started buying books. About 7 years ago he really pissed me off and I have never purchased another book from him. He is not a bad guy but his mouth gets him into much trouble. Sad.

Regarding the firing pin in my Nambu, it looks like it has a reddish orange coating as you mentioned. The inside of this pistols looks new and bore is mirror so I do not believe it was fired much, just carried.

If you know where there might be a holster for sale that would fit the Nambu and I sure would appreciate it.

I am at work so I will forward you an e mail later regarding meeting up at the West Springfield, Ma Gun Show.

Regards,

George

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dear Friends:

While attending the West Springfield, MA Gun Show last weekend, I added a holster, cleaning rod and extra magazine to my Nambu 14 collection. I also had the pleasure of meeting David Borjes at the show.

I thought I was going to pick up my copy of Japanese Military Cartridge Handguns 1893-1945 from B&S Books. However Sara sadly said she forgot to bring it to the show and would mail it to me on Monday. I still have not received it and was wondering what I have.

My Nambu 14 is 18.1 and I do believe the holster is an earlier model. Have no idea what the marking are on the inside of the holster. Not sure what the marking are on the extra magazine but looks to be the same as the one that came with my Nambu. At first I thought the cleaning rod was a repo but after taking a good look at it appears to be original. I would appreciate any information in this regard.

Heading out to the Saratoga Springs, NY Gun Show this morning and hopefully my book will arrive this afternoon.

Regards,

George

Download Attachment: 100_1438.jpg
40.32KB

Download Attachment: 100_1444.jpg
55.17KB

Download Attachment: 100_1446.jpg
49.51KB

Download Attachment: 100_1449.jpg
75.32KB

Download Attachment: 100_1456.jpg
82.47KB

Download Attachment: 100_1459.jpg
41.19KB

Download Attachment: 100_1452.jpg
96.19KB

Download Attachment: 100_1455.jpg
138.15KB

Download Attachment: 100_1480.jpg
17.81KB

Download Attachment: 100_1481.jpg
16.83KB

Download Attachment: 100_1482.jpg
23.2KB

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,688 Posts
Hi George,
That holster is the later leather holster which would be right for your Jan. 43 Nambu. It has the spare firing pin pouch next to the ammo pouch.
Early ones didn't have this pouch. The last variation is the rubberized canvas version, it too usually has the firing pin pouch.
Those little squiggly marks are just inspectors marks....I think they are listed in Derby, but go to the Banzai site and you can pick up a lot of info. I usually send my T-14 info to Dan Larkin...he is preparing a data Base for a book on Jap Handguns.

I compared your cleaning rod to two of mine and if it is a repro it's darn good!! Does it have any characters stamped up near the bend? That is usually the only way you can tell an original, although I have unmarked originals also. The only thing different on yours is the bend. All of mine are exactly 90 deg. your picture seems to indicate about 95 deg., but the quality seems very good so I would assume its original!!

Hope the Saratoga show is good for you.

Regards,

Dave

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dear Dave:

After I returned from the Saratoga, NY Gun Show, the mailman left a nice surprise on my doorstep. I now have my copy of Japanese Military Cartridge Handguns 1893-1945, what a nice book.

I went over the cleaning rod with a fine tooth comb and cant find any marking on it, anywhere. I did read in the book that some were unmarked so its anyone's guess.

The Saratoga Springs, NY Gun Show was a waste of time like always. I always keep hoping something wonderful will be there and never happens.

Thanks for your help Dave.

Regards,

George

·
Registered
95 Posts
That is a very nice rig you've put together! The date in the holster is Showa 13 (1938), so it's a bit early for your pistol. Also present, is the Nagoya Arsenal symbol & chief inspectors mark. Only the very earliest (1st 3-4 years of production) leather holsters were made without the firing pin pouch & some of these have had them added later. The rubberized canvas holster came into use in Showa 17 (1942). One of these would be most correct for your pistol. Unfortunately many of these are pretty stiff now & would not be kind to the finish on your pistol. But it would look good in a display.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Your cleaning rod looks original to me as well. Your extra mag that came with your holster is correctly marked for your pistol. What is unusual it the presence of the "TO" marking on your matching mag. (it's the TV with an antenna looking mark). The chart in "The Book" only shows this mark being used on 20 date pistols. This mark is usually associated with the Tokyo Arsenal or the Kokubunji (Nagoya Nambu) factory. Is this mark present anywhere else on your pistol?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.