Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NAMBU, LARGE TRIGGER GUARD, SERIAL NUMBER 68208, WITH HOLSTER, ROD, EXTRA MAGAZINE, AND PERIOD AMMUNITION

TYPE 14 NAMBU
The 8mm caliber Type 14 Nambu was manufactured from 1926 to 1945 by the Nambu Factory and several Japanese Government arsenals. The main variations are: the Small Trigger Guard Variation manufactured from 1926 to 1939 (showa date 14.9) and the Large Trigger Guard Variation manufactured from 1939 (showa date 14.9) to July 1945 (showa date 20.7). Approximately 102,850 of the Small Trigger Guard Variation and 179,550 of the Large Trigger Guard Variation were manufactured (see page 284-290 Axis Pistols)

Download Attachment: 1913DWMNAMBU1.jpg
40.18KB
Figure 1. Left side of Large-Trigger Guard Variation-Type 14 Nambu, serial number 68208. It was manufactured in 1939, by the Nagoya Nambu Factory in Japan for the Japanese military.

Download Attachment: 1913DWMNAMBU2.jpg
33.32KB
Figure 2. Details of left side showing the safety marking. This Nambu exhibits good quality fit and finish..

Download Attachment: 1913DWMNAMBU3.jpg
39.47KB
Figure 3. Right side of Type 14 Nambu, serial number 68208.

Download Attachment: 1913DWMNAMBU4.jpg
45.32KB
Figure 4. Type 14 Nambu, serial number 68208. Details of right side. The Showa date (14.10, 1939), manufacturers symbol, and serial number are located on the right frame. It is the Early Subvariation produced for only three months. It lacks the magazine retaining spring found on all subsequent production.

Download Attachment: 1913DWMNAMBU5.jpg
48.57KB
Figure 5. Type 14 Nambu, serial number 19858. Rig showing leather holster, cleaning rod/magazine tool, extra magazine, and period military ammunition. The holster is a well worn veteran with many battle scars.

Download Attachment: 1913DWMNAMBU6.jpg
43.15KB
Figure 6. Open holster. The cleaning rod is stored under the trigger guard, the extra magazine is stored on top of the cleaning rod, two boxes of ammunition can be stored in the pouch and there is a provision for an extra firing pin next to the ammunition pouch. Loose ammunition is shown in the flap of the holster
Note: the well constructed reinforcing patch at the toe of the holster.

Download Attachment: 1913DWMNAMBU7.jpg
49.62KB
Figure 7. Back of holster. Note: the three well constructed repair patches visible on the back of the holster.

Download Attachment: 1913DWMNAMBU8.jpg
34.99KB
Figure 8. Rectangular- well worn- brass strap rings on the holsters back.

Download Attachment: 1913DWMNAMBU9.jpg
38.6KB
Figure 9. Details of the cartridge pouch, firing pin pouch, and the reinforcing patch at the toe of the holster.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Very nice rig! The holster is very interesting with it's repairs. Also interesting is that the shoulder strap rings indicate it's a very early example. It was probably made without the F.P. pouch originally. Looks like the pouch may have been added during the re-conditioning of this holster. This may have included a new ammo pouch flap to cover the firing pin to prevent loss. Very nice transition T-14!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mr. Still
Super-nice T14 rig! Having read your fine books I have always wondered how you find such great-condition items from the "wilds of Alaska"? You have built a truly wonderful collection!
Any new books or updates in the making?
JB

·
Administrator
15,075 Posts
JB, I think Jan, along with other collectors, just hard work?

They check with friends, keep their ears open, talk to fellow collectors and friends, go to gun shows...

At least that is what they tell me. But to tell you the truth, I have bought almost all of my small collection from networking with friends and other collectors, :)

Ed

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John
Thanks for your compliment. Collecting from the "wilds of Alaska" is at best difficult? I depend a lot on fellow collectors.

I did pick up the holster and ammunition (this year)along with a P08 rig from the "wilds of Alaska". It was so exciting that I told the story of the aquisitions in the Imperial Lugers section, Army Lugers under:
1913 DWM, SN 5776, PRUSSIAN EAGLE
Jan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.