Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just aquired a 1944 Nambu 14. It is in decent shape. I am having difficulty in disassembling this pistol. Can anyone give me some info in taking this pistol apart? I would appreciate any help.

G

·
I'd really recommend picking up a copy of "The Gun Digest Book of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly - Part 1 Automatic Pistols. $24.95 and still in print. It helps me a lot.

The gist of it is that you start by locking the bolt back (mag in the gun). Depress the pin in the middle of the knob at the back of the bolt and unscrew the knob. A few parts remove from the back of the bolt fairly easily. Gently let the bolt down.

Pull the mag and remove the grip screws. Take the grips off carefully, they are slid under the frame at the top and you don't want to crack them.

Carefully push the muzzle down against your work surface to move the barrel back and at the SAME TIME push the mag release button and pull the trigger guard down and off.

Everytthing else should be easy enough to figure out from here.

It has a lot of parts for a military pistol and I would hate to do this job in the field.

Good Luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am sorry for the tardy response to your suggestions. I checked this thread several times and about gave up on it as no replys were logged. I checked today and was surprised. In the interim I acquired a manual and used some information from the internet to disassemble the pistol. The pistol is in good condition except for a broken firing pin that I have already replaced. I do not have the ability at this time to post pictures but when I do I will post them here. Thanks for your help.
Craig

G

·
That's Great! If you're collecting more pistols I'd still suggest picking up the Gun Digest book. I have no vested interest in it but I can't believe how often I refer back to it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks maximillion, I will purchase the book as soon as I can. Sometimes I wonder why I got into this hobby, incredibly expensive, makes me drool alot and will eventually put me in the poor house or the rubber room.
Craig

G

·
I can relate to that. I tried to get into real gun collecting about 20 years ago but the expense made me fold. About six months ago I went to a gun auction and got hooked again. Of course, It's almost neck and neck between the money I spend on guns and the money I spend on books and other things that just seem to "go" with the collection. I've recently spent some time with a guy that is DEEP into the Civil War. Now that is an expensive proposition!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have also purchased many books, I love to read and understand how things work. I cannot see selling my firearms unless I run into a very serious financial problem, so it looks like they will eventually go to my sons. I enjoy the hobby but most of all reading the comments and warnings in this web site and the Luger Forum. It is surprising how addictive this hobby is especially the Luger itself.
Craig

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks all, I've had one hanging on the wall for ten or so years that I've fired five shots through and never have figured out how to take apart. It has the lightest trigger on any gun I've ever owned.

G

·
The easiest method that I have come across is:
Remove magazine and ensure that weapon is unloaded and uncocked.

Depress the spring-loaded retaining pin located on the rear of the cocking handle and hold down while rotating cocking handle counterclockwise until comes off.

With the cocking handle removed, the pin and firing pin spring should come right out.

Turn the weapon barrel-up (in a safe direction) holding your hand under the rear of the bolt to catch the firing pin. (Replace magazine, trigger will not depress without it) Depress the trigger and the firing pin should drop into your hand. (Now remove magazine)

Next, grip the weapon in your right hand and depress the magazine catch button with your thumb. Press the muzzle against something (be careful not to mar the crown of the muzzle).
While the magazine catch and barrel are depressed, grasp the trigger guard with your left hand and pull straight down until it is removed.

The barrel assembly with bolt should easily slide forward for removal. Be careful not to lose the bolt retaining lug, which will fall loose during removal. If the weapon is reassembled without this part it would be dangerous to shoot.

To reassemble, reverse the procedure, of course.

My Uncle, who was a World War II Seabee showed me this method. In fact, he gave me a Type 14 Nagoya arsenal Nambu dated 15.6 (June 1940) that he took from a New Guinea battlefied.
I haven't tried to fire it because the firing pin is snapped off. My Uncle did this on-purpose, long ago, as he considered that it had been fired too much, already (Which was his opinion of all Nipponese arms).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.