Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Modified 1902 Type Nambu
The Modified 1902 Type Nambu-called Papa Nambu by collectors–was manufactured by the Tokyo Artillery Arsenal from 1906 to 1928. It was adopted by the Imperial Navy in 1909 and manufactured for the Navy by Tokyo Gas and Electric Co. from 1909 to 1928. Navy production was about 3,600 pistols. It was manufactured both with and without the stock slot

Figure 1. Papa Nambu, serial number 3084, manufactured by Tokyo Gas and Electric Co. in about 1916 for the Imperial Japanese Navy (note the Navy anchor stamped on the frame). These are of the highest quality fit and finish and saw battle service against the German, China and South Seas colonies during World War I, in Manchuria and China during the 1930's, and against the United States, British, and Dutch forces during World II.

Japanese035.jpg

Figure 2. Navy Papa Nambu, serial number 3084, left side.

Japanese 038.jpg
Jan C Still
Site Owner - Operator

I

·
0 Posts
In Harry Derby`s new book (due out in October- see www.schifferbooks.com), new data says that only the Pappas with the anchor stamp were used by the Navy. Those with out an anchor were issued to Army units or were private purchased. This is one of the rare occurances where Army issue Pappas are rarer than Naval issue.

BUCKO

S

·
0 Posts
Very nice synopsis & photos, Jan: thank you.

This current caretaker of TGE Papa 2nd Variation Naval contract #629 suggests that Bucko, above, is quite correct re: TGE production. If 5,700 were made by TGE and 3,600 were Navy accepted, then only 2,100 were available for Army & private consumption.

However, one should not overlook Tokyo Artillery Arsenal production of another 4,600 Papas equally available for Army & private sales. Perhaps it is in consideration of both manufacturers that the Navy Papa is generally considered to be quite scarce - particularly when found in excellent condition.

Roger S. --- still looking for a matching mag & an original cleaning rod :)

S

·
0 Posts
Very nice synopsis & photos, Jan: thank you.

This current caretaker of TGE Papa 2nd Variation Naval contract #629 suggests that Bucko, above, is quite correct re: TGE production. If 5,700 were made by TGE and 3,600 were Navy accepted, then only 2,100 were available for Army & private consumption.

However, one should not overlook Tokyo Artillery Arsenal production of another 4,600 Papas equally available for Army & private sales. Perhaps it is in consideration of both manufacturers that the Navy Papa is generally considered to be quite scarce - particularly when found in excellent condition.

Roger S. --- still looking for a matching mag & an original cleaning rod :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
These are so very difficult to find in decent shape. I have wanted one for a long time, and have seen and examined about a half dozen that were for sale, and never one in better than 70% condition, and always very pricey. The nice ones I've seen were never for sale. A 90% Papa with matched mag., at the right time--when I have the $ ready, that would be a very special event for me.

·
Registered
485 Posts
These are so very difficult to find in decent shape. I have wanted one for a long time, and have seen and examined about a half dozen that were for sale, and never one in better than 70% condition, and always very pricey. The nice ones I've seen were never for sale. A 90% Papa with matched mag., at the right time--when I have the $ ready, that would be a very special event for me.

S

·
0 Posts
Appropriate commentary, Pancho;

Should the opportunity arise, you might consider relaxing the requirement for a matched mag - as I did - to avoid looking for the rarest of the rare.

I finally succumbed (to the piece above) because it has 98-99% finish & 90% heat treat straw color; it is matched but I relaxed my normal bore standards to accept VG. It came with two VG original but mismatched mags; a VG original leather holster with correct shoulder straps (which we both know is extremely scarce these days); 16 vintage cartridges for the ammo loops; and a nickled T14 (unfortunately) cleaning rod.

I only looked off & on for 10 years before finding this rig last year at a price I was willing to pay :)
Cheers, Roger S.

·
Premium Member
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pancho, Roger
I purchased the above Navy Nambu from a "World Of Nambu's" list put out by Sam Costamzo many years ago. The World of Nambu's did not catch on like the World of Lugers and as far as I know only the one list was sent out.
Jan

·
Registered
569 Posts
He and RS were going to have a 'WORLD OF P38s' Too....but it never happened as far as I know...I did see their add for both at one time.

Orv

Orvel L. Reichert
P O Box 67
Vader WA 98593-0067
360-245-3492
360-245-3702 Fax
360-520-6520 Cel
[email protected]

Quote-----In the Soviet army it takes more courage to retreat than advance.--- Joseph Stalin

J

·
0 Posts
Does anyone know the serial number ranges of the Navy Papas and the Army Papas? I acquired a Papa on which it is hard to tell if it has an anchor on it due to the less than perfect condition, well okay it is in really bad shape. But, I had never seen one before and couldn't pass up on the price. I am slowly rebuilding it, still looking for a magazine. Anyway, if anyone has any serial number data I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts